Speaker Volume Controls

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_K, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Gary_K

Gary_K Auditioning

I was looking to add a volume control for a set of outdoor speakers and was ready to buy a Russound ALTX-2D Autoformer volume control and weatherproof cover from htp://futurehomesystems.com. While I was searching for pricing I found another company, Knoll Systems (http://www.knollsystems.com/whitepap.htm),that manufacture a volume control that uses a V-Pad transformerless design. This type of design is not supposed to generate the heat of a transformer or L-pad design while also giving a linear frequency response. It is also quite a bit smaller than the Russound making it easier to install. Does anyone have any experience with this type of volume control and if it is indeed a better method of controlling volume?
    Thanks!

2. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gary,
    I am also looking for an outdoor volume control. Have you considerd the Niles WVC-1 http://www.nilesaudio.com/misc_products/wpvc.html . I am not sure how to compare the power handling specs between models.
    1. Niles - "Power handling: 60 watts per channel"
    2. Russound - "126 watts power handling, 42 watts RMS, continuous"
    3. Knoll - "Peak RMS Power Rating: 350 watts per channel (5 seconds) and Continuous RMS Power: 100 watts per channel "
    The Knoll controls are interesting. I especially like the VC100ss model - "Silent logic mutes room speakers when system is turned on". I found the VC100ss at http://bigaudioenterprises.com/knoll.htm for $75. Are there any other sources for Knoll?
    Also, what made you choose the ALTX-2D and a weatherproof cover vs. the WALTX-2 which comes with a weatherproof box. Is there any reason you can't just use a generic weatherproof electical box and cover from Home Depot? Thanks.
    Jay

3. Gary_K

Gary_K Auditioning

Jay,
    I counted out the Niles WVC-1 weatherproof due to the fact that that it has only 10 steps of control (30db total attenuation), as opposed to the Russound WALTx-2 which has 12 steps of control (43db total attenuation) and both units are comparably priced.
    As far a power specs, the Russound and the Knoll can be directly, with the Knoll handling more power in continuous watts (100W vs 42W). The Niles spec the way it is specified is meaningless.
    The reason forchoosing the ALTX-2D and a weatherproof cover vs. the WALTx-2 was for two reasons:
    1. The combination is cheaper ($61 for the ALTX-2Dand weatherproof cover vs. $80 for the WALTx-2)
    2. I had the single gang box for the volume control installed when they were building the house. The WALTx-2 mounts with 4 screws around the perimeter so I can't just remove the cover and gasket and mount it to the existing box, which would require two screws on either end in the center. This can be done with the weatherproof cover.
    Also, the Knoll volume control has Decora style faceplate, so I could use the weatherproof cover with either type of volume control, if I can ever make up my mind on one.
    I am curious though if anyone out there has ever had any experience with the Knoll V-Pad transformerless volume control. Other than the site you had found, the only other site was http://www.assuredsys.com/volumecontrols.htm.Phoenix Gold also manufactures some transformerless designs but they don't know if they are V-Pad or L-Pads. The benefits of the design (improved frequency response, smaller size, and minimal heat dissipation) would seem to make this type of control the best choice. The question is if it is better why aren't there more of this type of control (V-Pad vs. Autoformer) on the market?
    Thanks!