Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joe McDonnell, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Joe McDonnell

Joe McDonnell Auditioning

Hi, newbie here who knows absolutely nothing about audio and video but very willing to learn. I just sold an my Polk S-6's and looking to upgrade. I don't have tons of cash to drop on speakers so my ceiling is around $400/pair. Any help steering me in the right direction would be appreciated. FYI - I'm not an audio buff and my speakers would be mainly used for movies.... I have the following components Receiver - Yamaha RX-V371 Sub - Poll Audio PSW 505 12" Center - Infinity Systems Thanks!

2. Mike Thomass

Mike Thomass Stunt Coordinator

would you be interested in building your own speakers?

3. Joe McDonnell

That would be kind neat! But wouldn't know where to begin.

4. Mike Thomass

it is neat, and i didnt know where to begin either heres my thread somewhere in there is a list of tools you will need (list is on the last page i think)

5. Mike Thomass

6. Joe McDonnell

Look interesting but I can't dedicate the time needed to a product of this magnitude. (Especially since I am, at the moment, speakerless!):)

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    If you have an Infinity center then you should also use Infinity's as fronts for that timbre match thing. Which Infinity center do you have?

8. Joe McDonnell

Infinity Video 1 center channel.... I'm on a budget, is infinity doable?

9. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    For $400 a pair you really have to listen to them yourself to find out if you actually like them. Too much money to make a mistake based on what someone else says. That's a vintage Infinity (I was hoping for something more recent). It would be hard to find something to match it sonically but I doubt those Polk S6's matched it either! Those Polks look real good on paper, even if they're fairly old as well. I was going to suggest that you replace the center as well and get something from the Polk Monitor series http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006521&isNodeId=1&Description=polk+monitor&x=23&y=12 since you could get two Monitor 50's and a CS1 for about $300 shipped (tax in CA) but they may not have the sound quality of what you're replacing. Check Polks ebay store for the LSi7. They're factory refurbished but are on sale for $375/pr shipped (+ tax in CA :( ). The Boston Acoustics RS260's are a fantastic speaker for $199 each but shipping would put tou over budget. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSRS260GB/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-RS260-Reflection-Series-Bookshelf-Speaker-Each-Black/1.html Also look at the Clearance centers of Vanns.com and Onecall.com. Crutchfield has the Infinity P163's for $99 each which would leave enough left over for the matching PC350 http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_108P163BK/Infinity-Primus-P163.html?cc=02&tp=13664 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PC350BG/Infinity-PC350-Black-grille.html?tp=189

10. Joe McDonnell

Thanks so much!

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Too bad those P163s sold out at that price and are now a bit more expensive ($139). I actually would have bought a pair too at that price... The 153s are still there and are only $109.

12. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    They still have the 162's for $85 each :) .

13. Joe McDonnell

Found a pair of JBL 500's on craigslist for $185.00, does that seem like a good price?

14. Joe McDonnell

Sorry JBL G 500

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Nice, and I don't think too much changed between them. That is still cheaper than the next pair of GR A/V-1s I was thinking about building. Already have cabinets now and just need the kits, so I am leaning more toward the A/V-1s.