Speaker Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dave Gorman, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

My current speaker setup is a bit of a shameful hodge-podge, so I've been starting to consider a speaker upgrade. I'm a speaker novice, never having researched or followed the speaker forum. Aside from avoiding Bose, I really don't even know what brands are good and what are not.

Cost is an issue -- I don't know how little I can get by with spending and still make a worthwhile upgrade to my speaker system. Perhaps I can recycle my sub & center and just replace the other 4?

Here is my non-speaker equipment:

Receiver: Sony STR-DE835 (5.1 DD/DTS)
    DVD: Panasonic RP62
    TV: Toshiba 50H81

Here are my present speakers:

Center: Klipsch SC1
    Sub: Yamaha YST-5W90
    Front L/R: Bose 501
    Rear L/R: Bose 301

Room size: 9' wide, 21' deep, 6.5' high

Yes, I'm well aware Bose has a dreadful reputation among those who know about speakers, but I picked up all 4 several years ago for a total of $75.

What would you all recommend?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What do you think your actual price range will be?

SELL the BOSE and see what you can get, you'd be surprised. You certainly can't get less than what you spent on them.

My recommendation would be to replace the front 3 within your budget. If that is too much, then just get a good main pair and upgrade over time. Then center, then sub, then receiver, because you can probably get by with the 301s as rears for a while.

3. Dave Gorman

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you like the Klipsch sound, anything else in the Klipsch Synergy line up would be tone-matched to your SC1. Best Buy carried that line now, so doind some demos should be fairly easy, even if the environment isn't the best. Go see if you like the offerings they have, then check the net for the best prices. If you have a HiFi Buys or Tweeter around there's a chance they may still have some of the Klipsch Synergy's available at closeout prices, but it's doubtful.

6. Dave Gorman

7. marion.r

marion.r Extra

Klipsch is a good speaker, and in the lower cost range is perhaps the best you can buy for clarity. They are also very efficient, cutting your cost for amps considerably. The horns do does color the sound, but at this level, you really shouldn't be worried about some sound coloration.

You can always find Klipsch on Audiogon, Ebay, etc. Even on Audiogon, you can leave a Want Ad so someone who is upgrading can contact you.

You can demo some at any of your local HT dealers/Circuit City. Look for used equipment that will match. Read some reviews even if the review is about the big brother of what you can afford. It will tell you what the smaller elements will cost which may not have all the bells and whistles. Decide what is a MATCH...certainly NOT the Bose, and then slowly build the system. Sometimes you can pick up a pair of the speaker you like. Be careful not to buy impulsively...know what you are doing before you buy, and be able to return what you buy if it is not what you are looking for.

8. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Sell your Bose and take a look at Axiom or Ascend.