What's new

Speaker upgrade- suggestions? (1 Viewer)

I now have 5 M&K LCR-55's and am ready to upgrade. I use my system mostly for HT. The left & right fronts are built into a HT cabinet. The opening size for these speakers is 20" wide, 12 3/4" high and 24 3/4" deep.
Most quality bookshelf speakers are too tall to fit into this space. If I lay speakers on the side will I sacrifice sound quality?
The room is 22' wide and 21'long and completely open on one side. I am using a Pioneer VSX 49 receiver. I would like to buy 5 new speakers and keep my cost at $3000 or less.
Suggestions?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Tough call. I would be concered about the sound quality if you were to use a rear ported speaker in an enclosed cabinet. Laying the speaker on it side may work if you can keep the tweeters at ear level. Check out the Polk Audio Lsi series.

Thanks Frank.
I have looked for speakers that will fit sideways in the opening for my fronts. Paradigm Studio 20's, Polk Reference Studio LSi9, Axiom22ti,Rocket RS250 and the M&K S-150 will fit.
Are any of these better for Home Theater?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
As you can tell from my site I'm partial to Polk Audio. My site will be upgraded in the next week or two to show off my new Lsi speakers. I should be receiving my Lsi15's this week and will then have a complete Lsi package. I got the lsi 7's a few weeks ago and promptly set them up as my mains just to see how they sounded. Unbelievable is the only word that comes to mind at this moment! If you can audition a pair of 9's, do it and you will be amazed at the sound quality from these little gems!

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
I guess I was wondering that if the speakers are in a cabinet, then how far apart are they? Are they spread out far enough to give you much of a soundstage? Are you able to put the speakers on stands or get towers to place outside of the cabinet? Is the WAF part of the reason? You have a big room and a really nice receiver, so it's too bad you can't experiment with speaker placement. It would also be nice to use 7 speakers with that receiver. There are soooooo many good speakers out there. Another guy on this forum just got some JM Lab Chorus speakers at a place in Austin called Sound Mind Audio. He was very pleased with their service and the time they spent with him without pressure to buy.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the speakers need to go into the cabinet. WAF really doesn't like towers or speakers on stands. There is 72" center to center on the speakers in the cabinet.
I have not heard of the speakers you mentioned but will try to get some info on them to see if they might fit into the cabinet.
If I could do it over again, I would put all of the gear in a closet and just have the TV and speakers in the room. Oh well! Live & learn.

PomingF

Second Unit
David, I haven't heard any of the speaker models you mentioned except the Rocket as I am into stereo music without a sub so floor standers are more to my liking. After auditioning to the other brands you have in mind and if still interested you're welcome to audition the 250's.

You may want to PM Paul_Scott (or at least search for and read his Maggie vs Rocket thread) for he had auditioned/compared quite a few brands/models.

As for Sound Mind Audio, for a while I've been receiving postcard invitations from them for audition and from what I read they do carry quite a few descent speaker brands.

PF

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
I'm wondering if GR Research or VMPS could build some really nice speakers that would sound good in the horizontal position. I'm surprised some of the people who are big on DYI speakers aren't posting with an idea.
There are some really beautiful towers out there that better than most people's furniture. Consider them a museum piece. Offer to put your wedding pictures in the cabinet space where the speakers used to be.:D
There was a David Collier that lived up here in the Ft. Worth area. That's not you is it?

John A. Casler

Second Unit
If I lay speakers on the side will I sacrifice sound quality?
It depends on the speaker. Some speakers can be used both ways and others have their dispersion patterns set up for either vertical or horizontal orientation.

Just use three center channel speakers if the book shelves in a line don't work.

The VMPS 626 comes to mind as one that can be ordered for either vertical or horizontal placement. Much of the M&K line will do both.

John Casler

Thanks guys-
PomingF- I am not sure which speaker the 250 is. Please fill me in. Thanks for the offer to audition. Are you in Austin?
Brian will I be able to find GR Research & VMPS if I search the net using those names?
John - great idea on using 3 centers. I will try to find the VMPS 626.
As you guys know, some of the brands I listed are only sold on the net so I will not be able to audition all of them.
Thanks again!!

PomingF

Second Unit
David, the RS250 is the bigger of the two bookshelf models in the Onix/Rocket line. If you go to AV123.com's website I'm sure there will be a link to the Onix/Rocket page. It has the Vifa ring-radiator tweeter, a 6" aluminum woofer and is rear ported. I'm in San Antonio and had just received an audition request for the Diva's from someone in the 512 area code. Unfortunately I had just sent in the Xovers of some of the Rockets models (250, 550 & 750) to AV123 for the final production modification and don't expect them back till at least a couple of weeks. Paul_Scott had talked 'bout the 250's a lot in his thread and JK from the Secrets will be reviewing it's smaller sibling, the RS150 soon. Cheers.

PF

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David,
You asked where you could find info on GR Research?
Try our web site. www.gr-research.com
We do have a model that will fit in the space you have specified without laying it on its side.
Our A/V-1 is only 12" tall. http://www.gr-research.com/performer/av1.htm
It is a rear ported speaker though and will not breath properly in a sealed back entertainment center. You might have to experiment with placing a piece of foam or two in the ports.
If only the front of the speaker will be seen you may can find further savings by simply painting an MDF enclosure. Most of the cost of any speaker is always the enclosures and the finish.
Another thing to think about is getting them out of the entertainment center. This would give you a considerable performance increase in many ways.
I have a lot of customer that use our small stand mounted A/V-1's setting on stands and unobtrusively placed against the wall and out of the way when not in use. They when it is time to jam they pick them up and drag them well out into the room away from boundaries and enjoy the huge sound stage.
If you want more info or feedback on our speakers, lots of info and reviews can be found all over the Internet. I am sure that some of my customers can direct you to the places to go for the most info.
I am about a 5 hour drive to the North if you would like to come up and audition any of our speakers. You would be most welcome.
You too Brian Burgoyne. I am only about an hour and 45 minute drive from Fort Worth.
Any of you other Texans are also welcome to come up for auditions. Just call and let me know in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks