Speaker upgrade saga with happy ending

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Andrew Pezzo, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

After several months of buying and returning from local dealers and buying and selling on ebay I finally got it right. Its a long story and I dont even know where to begin but the end result is that I am now the proud owner of a pair of Def Tech BP7001sc's with CLR3000 soon on the way.

After just a few moments of the dino duel in Jurassic Park 3 I knew I finally found the sound I was looking for. A friend of mine has the BP2000TL's and I was amazed at how much more bass mine had and how great it sounded. Whats nice is that these are a tad bit smaller than the 2000's (even still the wife thinks they are to big, especially for our condo - I disagree however).

Now if I can just decide on the first full movie to watch.....

My system:
    Sharp 36" direct view TV
    Denon AVR-3803
    Def Tech BP7001sc's
    Def Tech CLR2300 (soon to be replaced with CLR3000)
    Def Tech BP2X's for surrounds (currently using former mains - BP2006TL's till I can sell them on ebay)

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Good job. You don't have to answer, but how much do you figure you lost in the buying/selling approach till you settled on the DT's?

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Honestly not much. If I had to estimate I figure I got back about 85-90% full value for eveything I sold on ebay. Most of the stuff I bought I got great deals on so that helped. I definiatly lost a little of money on the adventure but in the end it was worth it (I would have to sit down to try and figure it out). And I enjoy selling stuff on ebay. As stupid as this sounds it was fun having a living room that resembled a showroom with multple pairs of speakers everywhere.

All I can say is thank god for ebay.

4. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Onbe more thing, I wouldnt say it was a buy/sell approach to find the right speakers, it just ended up that way. Everything I purchased I auditioned in the store. Problem was after a few weeks I would watch a movie and something would be lacking. So, I would try out other speakers, find a pair I liked and the cycle started over. At least it gave a wide range of movies to try out speakers with so that I could find one that perfromed to my expectations for all source material.