Speaker Upgrade - Recommendations

Augmont

Auditioning
Real Name
Augie
I have/bought Onkyo HT-S780. I would like to my FL/C/FR speakers and I've heard that this is a good place to start.

I'm on a budget (most definitely after I upgraded to a HD DVR, another story and forum). I'm somewhat of a bass head. What, if any, are good sets to buy between 0-$100 and $100-$200 or for the money should i just keep the original speakers cause it won't make a difference.

I have a set of Bose bookshelf speakers and center speaker and was told (can't remember who or where I heard it) that it would not be wise or sound any better than what the HT-S780 came with because of the low ohms. Is that true?

Your O's are appreciated.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
That would depend on what exact bose speaker you have. If the speakers were part of the Accusimass system then they are a very low ohm satellite speaker, but if they are bookshelf speakers like the 201's or the 301's that would be a different stroy.

What is the Model # of the bose speakers?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Those would be much better speakers than the ones that come with a HTIB.

The Center Channel is an 8ohm standard speaker, the 301's are 4ohm speakers.

The 8" driver combined with the 2" tweeter in the 301's Will probably sound better then the one that comes with the set that has 5" Drivers and 1" tweeters.

I'm not sure of the actual Model# of the Receiver that comes with that package.

Can you post the actual Receiver model#?

You need to make sure the amp is stable and rated for 4ohm speakers or you will shorten the life of your amp. If it is.. Try em and judge for yourself.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes that amp is stable down to 3 ohms (230 watts) 4 ohms (170 watts) and 8 ohms (120 watts).

So Connect away and make your own decision. Try different formats and sources, CD, DVD's, and see what you like better. No problem overloading the amp with the bose 301's or the Bose Center that you have.

Then since you like base Keep the speakers you have and invest in your HD DVD and a better sub

mark11aa

Auditioning
Real Name
mark rothenberg
I would recommend Boston Acoustics CR85 Bookshelves. I have them and have been very happy.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron Piko