What's new

Speaker Upgrade?? (JBL Studio to B&W 600) (1 Viewer)

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Hey guys,

Being the bored college student that I am over Xmas break, I started to look around at various brands on speakers online (bad idea I know). I focused my search on B&W speakers. Needless to say my search about them turned up nothing but positive comments. So with that in mind here is my situation...

In August I will be graduating from college and hopefully entering the workforce. I will move out of my current apartment and hopefully into a house with my brother. Right now I have a JBL Studio setup with 2 - 312's, 2 - S36s, and one S-Center channel. Those of you who have seen the 312's know why I am not looking forward to moving them in August...

So my question is, would it be wise to sell my JBL Studio series speakers and pick up some B&W 600 series bookshelfs to replace them? The JBL's have been good speakers no doubt, but my room is so small the towers almost overwealm me. I also have a SVS 25pci sub, so I'm not worried about losing any low-end performance. When I get back to school I plan to test out the B&W and see how they sound. Eventually I will be running seperates, but right now I have a Yamaha HTR-5580.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :).

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent choice!! I am biased though. I have the 601's for rear surrounds and love them. Your best bet would be to try the 602's. I would also highly recommend giving Paradigm a listen as well. On the high end try their Studio 20's and 40's. On the lower end try their Monitor 3's and 5's. I ended up going with B&W over Paradigm but everyones tastes are different and I still think the Paradigm speakers are outstanding.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I'd personally recommend selling the JBL S-312's and replace it with the JBL S26.

Why? Read Jul 1, 2001 - Scott Wilkinson - "OBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVITY" - Electronic Musician on-line article, where he writes down the results of a blind test that he and several other audio journalists participated in @ Harman's MLL** between three consumer speakers that were mounted behind the grille cloth: a Boston Acoustics CR8, a B&W DM601, and a JBL S26.

Quote:
At the end of the testing, we learned that most of us had ranked the JBL S26 as the best speaker on most clips, ...

**MLL = Harman built a blind-testing room called the Multichannel Listening Lab (MLL).

The JBL S26's can be purchased from $120.00 to $319.00 at 12 Yahoo stores.

The objective test explains why the JBL S26 performed so well ...
• May 20, 2000 - Home Theater Magazine
Quote:
On-axis response of the S26 L/R measures +1.7/-1.4 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is @ 48 Hz and the -6dB point is at 43 Hz.
All the JBL S-Series uses the same identical 1" Pure Titanium Dome tweeter and Sound & Vision Magazine Objective test the

JBL S38
Frequency Response
80 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.8 dB

... so put together the Objective Tests between the two HTM & S&V Labs ... the

JBL S26
Frequency Response
48 Hz to 20 kHz ±3 dB (with super flat mid's +1.7/-1.4 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz)

Just some food for thought,
Phil

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
I am planning on buying a pair of B&W's as soon as I get the money. Probably the 603's. If you are using them as mains, get at least the 602's. The 600's and 601's are not cut out to be mains :D I have listened to them many times and have come up with the same conclusion, as did the store manager where I listened to them.

As for upgrading to another JBL speaker...I have never heard a JBL that could even come close to sounding as good as a B&W. Perhaps it is preference on my part, but I just dont think they reproduce the music and instruments as faithfully as the B&W's.

Good luck with your choice.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
ill put in my 2 cents for the b&w 602's. they are excellent. i would go with those for mains if you can swing it. they have great bass extension for a bookshelf and sound great.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Thanks for all the input guys! I would probably only be able to replace the front sound stage currently (two mains and center) and keep my S36s for surrounds until I move into my new place. So now lets talk pricing. How much could I expect to pay for a pair of 602's and a 600 center channel? Keep in mind I will also need stands for the two mains. Like I said I plan to do research at the dealer once I get back into town, but that won't be for a few weeks.

Also, what would be the best outlet to sell my JBL's through? I would hate to use Ebay because the 312's are so large.

Thanks again!

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I use Sanus stands for my rear 601s. The stands cost about $140 a pair on-line. There are a number of E-tailers who sell Sanus stands. I bought the type that can be filled with sand or shot. Adding sand sure made them sturdier.

B&W prices: If I recall correctly, 602s sell for about $550 US a pair.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I paid $500 for the DM602 S3s, and $400 for the LCR 600 - tax included in those figures. Excellect matching speakers for the front soundstage (I use DM604s for the front 602s are in the back). I will warn you you MUST let them break in for the recommended 30 - 100 hours...you will notice a huge difference then...so if you get them home and think they are a bit harsh sounded, don't worry, just let them play. My 604s I almost returned because they had no bass extension to them, after about 30 hours they really started opening up...the 602s were pretty good sounding right out of the box, though I have noticed them opening up even more with the 30+ hours on them.

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
Brandon:

About 1 mo. ago i auditioned some b&ws and came home w/ a pair of 602 S3s for my mains. The 601s did not have the clarity and drive, and the 603s also did not have a nice clear mid/high for me (sounded more restricted, or "full" as i was told). Ill be installing an HSU STF-2 within the week, but in the mean time, the 602s have been absolutely amazing, and as Dan said, let them open up. My most recent experience with them, (watching the modern Italian Job) was my best yet. The ability to handle voice, music, and action was insane!!

Infact, in one instance, I could tell where the mics were too hot. At first i thought something had gone wrong w/ my speakers, in the relatively calm dialogue scene -- it never occured again throughout the movie, and i realized i was able to detect flaws in their production!!

..as for stands, checkout partsexpress DOT com. They have a few (not very attractive) metal stands that can be filled with sand for VERY good prices.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Again thanks for all the input guys!

A question about the center channel...

Would there be a huge difference between the 60 and the 600? I know the 600 has slightly bigger drivers, but would it be worth the extra cash (I'm not even sure how much the center's retail for)? I am on a pretty limited budget, but then again I don't want to get a weak center since it is the most important part of the HT.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Ok guys,

I will be purchasing later this week, but I have one final question regarding the B&W 600 series. Seeing as I could get the 602s and stands for the same price as the 602.5s, what would be the best option. Since I am moving I am leaning toward the bookshelfs. I listened to both in the store and couldn't tell a difference sound wise. Am I going to gain any advantage going with the 602.5 over the bookshelf 602? Thanks again for all the input.

Brandon Smith

John S

Senior HTF Member
Man, I would keep the JBL's around, until you are real sure you like the B&W's....

There is no way I would go from JBL Studio Series to B&W's.....

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
Brandon, I personally found the 602.5's to sound muddled compared to the 602s. The 602.5's use a smaller midrange driver but contain the cabinet so help offset it. I was shocked at the fact they cost more than the 602s, and quickly threw them out of the equation. The 602.5s, i feel, are an inferior speaker to the 602 -- the frequency response is 1hz less (pointless), and like i said, I did not hear the midrange that i enjoyed in the 602. I was demoing using a Natalie Merchant CD with beautiful vocals on piano.

I later took the 602's home and haven't looked back since.

They were cheaper and sounded better than the 602.5s, even when considering stands...

but as always, just go, listen to them, and listen to them somemore.. try bringing some different styles of music, because I came with my GF and there was no doubt that the 602 was the best bang for the buck from the group.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Carlos,

Thanks for the help. Like I said the bookshelfs also fit nicely into my plans of being easy to move come August. I will take one more listen tomorrow and hopefully have them in my home by tomorrow afternoon :).

Brandon D

Agent
Hey Brandon,

it's always cool to see a fellow Kentuckian on here, let alone a fellow UK student :D

When you get back to school and check out those B&W's at "the only place in town that carries them" just be carefull. It's always great to be welcomed by sales people who treat you like you have no money - or so was my case. I wish you luck on your quest....

I'm searching as well - I'm considering lots of crazy options at the moment perhaps we could go do some comparing together!

Take it easy man!

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Hey Brandon,

Good to see a fellow UK student here as well. Did you have a bad experience with Barney Millers? So far they have been great to me...

If you ever want a demo, just drop me a line. My girlfriend and other friends aren't quite into HT like I am :).

Good luck this semester!

Brandon D

Agent
I don't know what it was. I've worked in sales and commission based sales a lot so I read people differently than others. The guy just seem like he was hassled with me. I wasn't trying to waste his time, but I don't know.

Anyway yeah, I love HT and music.

I'm checking into a similar setup as yours. I'm considering 3 pairs of B&W 602's in conjunction with a SVS sub (wont the neighbors in the apt. just love that :D )

Good luck this semester as well man! I'm moving back to my apt. this morning.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Well guys I got my B&W 602's and LCR 600 yesterday! It is amazing how much better music sounds on these over my JBLs! I am really impressed. Can't wait to hear how they sound broken in!

My question concerns plugging the ports of the speakers. Would this give me more midrange? I have a SVS PCi 25 that handles all the lowend information. Anyone here with B&Ws plug their ports? Thanks for all the help guys...

Here is a shot of the new setup...

B&W 600 Series

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, I am glad to hear you are happy with your purchase.

It sucks when you spend alot of money on something and then are not happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks