What's new

Speaker types (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I was wondering what exactly a "monitor" speaker is. Satellites, bookshelf, and floor standing are all obvious but when I hear a speaker classified as a monitor I have no idea what that means. It seems to me that is between a bookshelf and floor standing but there has to be more to it. Can anyone satisfy my curiosity? I am in my second year of becoming a HT enthusiast and want to learn as much as I can.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
well coming from a professional audio background I think of a monitor as being a speaker thats built to have as completely a flat frequency response as possible so you can hear what a recording truely sounds like. But I know some consumer manufactures use this term loosely for bookshelf type speakers.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I hear the term used primarly for the PA speakers used in music concerts. monitors are the ones on the stage itself.

this would be very much in line with Jeremy's descriptions.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Many speaker companies use the term monitor to describe a speaker they feel is too big to be considered a "bookshelf" speaker, but still requires a stand, i.e. not a floorstander.

noahG

Agent
monitors in reference to a stage performance are the speakers on stage that point back to the performers, instead of towards the audience. they allow the Musicians (or actors or whomever) to "monitor" their own performance.

they're usually sort of triangular cabinets pointing upwards, although many people have switched to individual "in ear" monitors, allowing each performer to listen to his/her own mix.

I'd had to stick a larger than bookshelf speaker in my ear.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Monitor in relation to PRO audio is what noah and others have described it as, but speaker manufacturers and salesmen DO use the term monitor to describe a large bookshelf speaker...

stick that in your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks