Speaker thoughts and opinions. also anyone have info on an old speaker?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Michael%B, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Michael%B

Michael%B Auditioning

i was wondering if anyone here knows anything about Marantz HD660 speakers? i know of someone who has a pair of them, however the surrround on the sub is non-existant and right now im not sure if i will want to replace the sub or just recone it, i am not sure of where i could audition them as ive heard that something within the inside of the cabinet is not connected as one of them just stopped working so i dont know what they sound like. does anyone have experience with them? the only pics i have of them are located

classic-audio.com/marantz/HD660.html

they would be free so yea.

also, in terms of floor standing speakers is there anything that will beat the Exodus Audio Kit 261 speakers?
    acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/speakers/complete_kits/pdf/kit261plans.pdf
    they are a"Exodus Audio Kit 261 - Speaker kit in a 10" x 14" x 40" flooorstanding vented enclosure using a pair of Adire Extremis 6.8 and Usher Audio 9950 tweeter in a TMM design."

ive seen the frequency response of the Kit 261's which are pretty damn flat and extend down to 40 hz where it peaks and then rolls off moderately steep, i dont have a sub currently and would be feeding them 60 watts from my Marantz 1120.

adireaudio.com/Files/261FR.gif

a few pics of them in the enclosure

members.shaw.ca/awooley/pictures/261tiger.JPG

now these are supposed to retail for $599 for a pair of kits including crossover and everything. i am confident in my box building skills and moderately in my soldering skills so this is not my fear. however do you guys know of any other speakers in the $600 area that have a smooth frequency response and good extension on both ends?

thank you input is appreciated.

i currently just have a set of bookshelf speakers with a cross over designed for incar use on the speakers (Northcreek d-25/vifa midbass)

MIKE

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Next best thing would probably be the GR Research A/V-2, with a kit price below that. I have them and I'm very pleased with them.

3. Michael%B

Michael%B Auditioning

hmm, those speakers are bookshelves, not that i have a problem with them, but they also basically require a subwoofer, they have a so while being a lot cheaper (no final price yet on the 261's) they have the slight downfall in terms of output. Very interesting i will keep my eyes open.

MIKE

4. John Garcia

John
    Didn't realize the 261s were floorstanders only, being used to the 281 which was a bookshelf. Then there's the A/V-3 floorstanding version that is -3dB at 40Hz, with the kit price rising only slighty. With output to 40Hz, I'd still use a sub...

I sometimes run the A/V-2s by themselves and they can manage pretty well without a sub too, despite what -3dB at 55Hz might suggest.

Check out this interesting review of the smaller A/V-1: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-5-2003.html

5. Michael%B

Michael%B Auditioning

yea, i know i will need a sub at some point, but currently i dont have one nor the money to. the Kit 81's are the bookshelf speakers while the kit261's are floorstanding. is there an actual freq. responce on the A/V-3's? as a smooth graph is dependant upon what you consider smooth. well i found the graphs. the A/V's all seem to be pretty peaky in the tweeter areas. and the tweeter seems as if it could possibly be bright, or slightly harsh due to the increase in db about 3khz or so. however of course this is all subjective (more of a overview of the freq. responce of the a/v1's), THe a/v 2's however seem to lack in the upper end tweeter almost as if the tweeter fails in the very high range frequencies, although who all will notice it is subjective again. The av3's are very comparable to the 261's in terms of freq. responce, however iirc the impendence of the av3's is slightly higer than the 261's and both peak around the same areas in impedence.

MIKE

6. John Garcia

John
    I think that's sort of a generic response curve he has on the website, and I'm not sure if it is with the new version of the tweeter or not. When you order a kit though, you will get a pair of matched tweeters with printouts of their response curves.

These tweeters are definitely not harsh, which is one of the things I really like about them - great midrange and smooth, clear highs. The crossover used is tailored to these drivers as well as can be expected. The tweets retain some crispness without being in-your-face.

I thought the 81 and/or 281 were going away in favor of the new versions with the 6" drivers? I had only seen the 261 just the other day for the first time, though someone on here had mentioned them not too long ago.

7. Michael%B

Michael%B Auditioning

the 61 are using the extremis as are the 261's which is what i ment. the 281's i am not sure i have not heard of any specific plans, but Dan Wiggins has said that the 261's replaced the 281's inside his own house and that they are that good.

MIKE

8. Michael%B

Michael%B Auditioning

up.

MIKE