What's new

Speaker tests (1 Viewer)

Joan_H

Grip
Hello there:

I think one of my speaker is making some distortion I think it might be damaged but I'm not sure, can somebody tell how can I test my speakers and knowing when they're damaged??

Thanks

Elinor

Supporting Actor
You can buy a CD/DVD containing test tones. What you want is a disc that contains consecutive frequencies from about 10 Hz to at least 22kHz. This would likely cover the entire range any set of speakers could produce. Do not play the CD loud. If the speaker has a problem, you will hear it clearly on certain frequencies (or just one frequency).

The distortion will sound like the sound is being garbled, rather than a pure tone at a particular frequency.

Joan_H

Grip
Thanks Elinor

No I have other question, I already bought the tester cd now the question is how can I know which component of the speaker is damaged (Woofer, tweeter, etc)

Thanks for the help

Elinor

Supporting Actor
That's a little trickier.

If you still have the manual that came with the speakers it may list the crossover. Crossover is the frequency where the speaker routes sound to different elements (woofer, tweeter, etc.).

If you don't have the manual, you can look for specs on the manufacturer's web site, they may have the info.

Last hope is to try Googling the speaker model. Another possibility is searching in Google Groups ... formerly known as Usenet ... it is a huge repository of text-based information (message boards).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks