Speaker terminals/connectors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I am using Home Depot 12 gauge wire. My reciever has 5 way binding posts and my speakers have spring clips. I'm wondering what connectors I could use to make my speaker wire connections better/neater. It is very hard to fit the large 12 gauge wire into such small terminals.

Also, is there an audible difference between the 14 and 12 gauge home depot wire?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Mark: for the binding posts, the dual banana plugs from Radio Shack, Monster, Niles, etc., are very popular. A generous side hole opens up when you unscrew the plunger on the back. Open, insert 12 ga, tighten and you have a neat, strong connection.

The Dual Bananas are nice, but they stick out a bit. Radio Shack also has a 2-piece banana that is shorter.

For your speakers, bare wire is still the best if you can get away with it. Otherwise you are stuck with using "Pin" connectors. Radio Shack sells these as well. (If you go to Radio Shack, make sure to get the "MegaCable" stuff, not the cheap red/black plugs.)

Audible difference 16/14/12 ga: Not for short runs. The problem comes in with long runs that the higher frequencies are reduced a lot more than the lower ones.

So if you took say 20 feet of 16 ga wire and wired one main speaker with it, and 20 feet of 12 ga wire to the other, then played some CD music that you were very familar with, you MIGHT hear a difference. But this assumes your speakers are sensistive enough.

But for movies, the rear sounds are so infrequent and usually duplicated in the fronts that you will not hear the difference between 14 or 12 ga.

Some speaker web sites recommend:

1-10 feet: 16 ga

10-20 feet: 14 ga

20+ feet: 12 ga

Hope this helps.

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I don't think there is any difference between the 14 and 12 gauge unless you're going to running the wire like 50 ft. The longer you need to run the wire the lower gauge you will need(to keep the signal strength). 14 gauge should be just about fine for anybody.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

CRIPES!!
    All you guys replied whilst I composed mine!
    What a great forum!!
    [​IMG]

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I use the gold plated single bananas on my 12 guage wire and it works great.

7. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Thanks, you guys are great and have helped me out once again.

I'll check out the banana plugs at Radio Shack, see if they will suit my needs. I will look at the pins but will probably stick with bare wire.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i also second the rat-shack plugs. i use them and feel they work very well. very solid clamping power and the fit snugly into my binding posts.