Speaker Suggestions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tom_fran, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Tom_fran

Tom_fran Auditioning

Hello.

I just bought a Sony STR DE 895 home theater receiver to add to my 64 inch tv and set up a little home theater. I bought a speaker package and Best Buy. They were JBL and I paid about 300 dollars for them. I know that is not much for speakers but I am on a little budget. I really do not like the speakers at all and I am going to return them. I have increased my budget from about 600-1000 dollars for a speaker package and would appreciate some suggestions. I am capable of 6.1 but am happy with 5.1. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Tom

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Have a look at Ascend Acoustics Very well reviewed, and pretty close to your budget.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Curtis makes an excellent suggestion.

Very close to your original budget are the Acoustic Research HC6, 5.1 system. It was priced at $700 sometime back, but has been dropped to $400 pretty much everywhere. I have seen claims that it can be had for close to $300, but I have not seen that price myself.

This is a fine system—as good as I have heard at $400. But it is not going to compete with good systems at $1,000.

In addition to what Curtis has suggested the soon to be released (one or two months, probably) the Onix ELT system is well worth considering. It comes in at $900 for four satellites, a slightly more robust center channel and a powered sub. I just heard this system a couple of weeks age and it is my current favorite in this price range. Plus it is easily the best looking.

This thread Which is on the AV123 site, has a lot of pictures of this system and some discussion. They were taken from the same place that I heard the demo.

Plus
    this HTF thread has some additional information and discussion on this product.

I’m sure that you would be pleased with these. I am not as familiar with the Ascend line, but I have been quite impressed with what I have heard.

4. Hank Edwards

Hank Edwards Extra

Definately check out Athena. Best Buy is selling the Audition line now and they sound awesome for the investment. I have had my set for over a month now and they are really begining to shine. There has been several great reviews on the web and here in our forum. I believe they are even on sale!!!!

Hank

PS. They sound 10 times better at home than in the store.

5. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

What type of Jbl speakers did you get at Best Buy? I'm curious as they must have been very low end Jbl's because Best Buy's prices are not the cheapest. I have Jbl's, 2 S-38's for the front and 2 more for the surrounds, and a Jbl S-center for the center channel. Best Buy has these as well but you would pay far more then $300.00 for them. I got them online at www.jandr.com, $500.00 for the 4 S-38's and $170.00 for the S-center with free shipping so the total was around $670.00. I am very happy with these speakers, and they are the highest rated bookshelf speaker at www.audioreview.com. Don't let the low end Jbl's turn you off, the S-38's are great!

6. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard the Ascends, but have read good things about them. Give them a listen if you can.

The Athena's are admirable and fit your budget. You can find them at any Best Buy so it shouldn't be too difficult to give them an audition. I gave them a whirl a month ago or so. I thought they did well for home theatre but lacked somewhat for stereo. It is really difficult to give an all out opinion on these because I listened to them at Best Buy and the setup was horrible (powered by an aging bottom-feeder receiver and they were also in the process of re-doing their home theatre area). Overall, I would say they are good at their price point but one could certainly do better.

I am a big fan of the Wharfedale Diamond series. I find them to be an absolute gem. I haven't heard a speaker I like more in their price range (goes without saying I haven't heard everything out there). You can even go with floorstanders for mains and remain within your budget. If you can locate some near you, I highly recommend giving them a listen.

7. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

I have been really impressed with the Klipsch Quintet system (including sub). Their size and shape make them easy to fit into a room and they sound incredible.

Doug

8. Tom_fran

Tom_fran Auditioning

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I went with the Klipsch Quintet II. I am very happy with them. They fit in fine and sound really great to us. Thanks again to all for the help.

Tom

9. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Agent

Go on-line to http://www.audioshop.on.ca// and check out the new Dahlquist line. These are some of the best budget speakers available, period! And, because of the great exchange rate you can get one heck of a good deal. These are comparable to and maybe even better than the Paradigm Monitor line, which are way out of you range. As for Marc, he's and really good guy and will really help you out. If you search this forum you will find many happy Dahlquist owners who have bought from Marc.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.