What's new

speaker suggestions please! (1 Viewer)

kyutaek

Agent
I have Sony 36' HS510 HD ready Tube TV and Onkyo SR701. I want try to set up a speaker system for
my living room (16 x 16). I am newbie to home theater system. The usage would probably be half audio/half DVD (video). My budget is little tight (about $500). I am wondering if the tight budget could have the receiver fully performed. I might have two options: to buy a home theater system package or buy them separately. For the former, I might save the money by sacrifising the performance. And, for the latter, vice versa. Is it true?
What might be a good choice if I buy a speaker package?

If it would be better to buy them separately, how can I allocate my tight budget? It would be great if you recommend each part of the system (front, center, woofer, satelite). I don't have any particular brand/model in mind. I might upgrade the indiviual part as my experience on home theater getting settled. So I might need popular brand/part which I can sell them easily with a good resale value.

Another (technical) question: Is there any difference between buying a full tower speaker and buying a bookshelf speaker in building a home theater system. Tower speakers seem to be good for decoration as well, but difficult to move/set up at smaller place (also seems to be more expensive). I think subwoofer would be the same case. The bigger (12') one seems to be better, but hard to carry/move.

I appreciate your valuable input to build my first home theater system.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
What I recommend, and this is what I did. Is start with just 2 main speakers and get everything else later. Yeah I really want a sub, surrounds,center, etc. But I will get a much higher quality system in the end. I almost just got a home theater in a box and Im glad I didnt. Remember qaulity over quantity!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
For that budget I would recommend looking at some of the small speaker packages and the picking up a used receiver. For the speakers I would recommend the Klipsch Quintets, but there are many other similar sized/priced speakers out there. Go the BestBuy, CC, and wherever else you can and listen to get an idea of what you like.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator

Since you're listening to music, I second the idea of building up a system up starting with the two mains. In the long run you'll end up with a nicer system. If you cheap out now for everything, you'll just end up with the urge to upgrade right off the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks