Speaker suggestions for my setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gavorge, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Gavorge

Gavorge Auditioning

Hi all,

I just recently setup a nice home theater on a college budget. It's designed to give me the maximum enjoyment while maintaining portability and low cost. The specs will follow but right now I'm interested in sound. After upgrading the rest of the video I need some quality mid range speakers to compliment the great video.

Here are some specs to give you an idea of the price range and video quality level.
    Reciever: JVC RX-6500V (Has Dolby 5.1, DTS)
    TV: RCA F27650
    Consoles: Gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast
    DVD: Sony DVP-NS300
    Speakers: RCA fronts (pulled them from an old stereo so I don't know the model numbers), Technic center channel, and technic rears.

So what kind of speakers could I get (in the $500 for all five range and maybe a separate sub or should I make one?)
    for this system? Keep in mind agian that I move a lot so I like the speakers to be bookshelf or small towers.

Thanks for the advice guys!

2. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Check out Paradigm's web site for good information on all of their speaker lines.

3. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

I haven't auditioned these, but they are discussed favorably around here:
    JBL NSP1 II - $270
    Another favored budget item:
    Sony SA-WM40 sub - $140
    ...for a total of $510.
    Derek
    PS - I hear about 1.5 Ib of polyfill from WalMart stuffed into the sub helps tighten the bass.

4. Gavorge

Gavorge Auditioning

Would it be more efficient or feasable for me to make my own sub? If I do make my own will it work as well as the sony or close to it?

Also, Where do I put the polyfill in the sub?

5. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

The Sony is tough to beat for $125 shipped. As for the polyfil, you just pull the driver off the front and start stuffing like a turkey. I got about 14 ounces in mine using a staple gun to tack it to the sides and top, added some spikes and she sounds pretty darn good.
    I can rattle my Mother's candle holders off of the end tables upstairs...[​IMG]
    Extension isn't great, but it will handle most any movie you can throw at it with flying colors. Go to mysony.com, click around to gather 2000pts. and you can have it shipped for $125.

6. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Gavorge,

IMHO I think you would be hard-pressed to build an equivalent sub for $125, including parts shipping.

I'm sure it's possible--especially if you already have an extra sheet of MDF, paint, wood glue etc. kicking around, but like Justin said, for $125 shipped, you are unlikely to get a better sub--even DIY.