Speaker suggestions for a Onkyo reciever

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Sean_Oz, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Sean_Oz

Sean_Oz Extra

I am very interested in upgrading my speakers as they are the weakest link in my setup. I am under the impression that recievers and speakers are predispositioned to sound a certain way such as bright, warm and all the other terms. I would have to say that I like a sound a bit above warm, but not quite bright. I think that I might like to try Axioms, how are they tone wise? Can anyone suggest speakers that I should audition with my Onkyo that might fit my desires? Thanks for your input and help.

Sean

2. John S

John S Producer

I would rate Onkyo power amps, almost exactly what you describe as what you like.

"A sound above warm, but not quite bright"

Personally I have still not found a speaker I really like any better than JBL s38's at any price.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I have Paradigm Monitor 11's and 7's matched with my Onkyo. It is a little on the "bright" side, but I have hardwood floors and not very absorbant room decor. You would probably like them.

4. Sean_Oz

Sean_Oz Extra

John S,
    What are you running for your surrounds with the S38's?

Wayne,
    Paradigm is also another brand I was considering, I will definitely check them out!

THanks for the suggestions. Anyone else have some input on speakers that are "A sound above warm, but not quite bright"? THanks everyone!

Sean

5. John S

John S Producer

Sean_Oz, I run s38's all the way around. 10 of them actually..... The dreaded dual center no no right now. Works well for me though......