Speaker suggestions $400 range?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinMac, Feb 10, 2003.

1. KevinMac

KevinMac Auditioning

Hi,

New to the forum, great info guys, anyway looking for suggestions on a $400 set of speakers for my first dive into the world of home theater.

Currently looking at the JBL SCS 150SI($399 shipped), JBL SCS 135SI ($279 shipped), Harmon Kardon HKTS 10 ($320 shipped).

Also considering looking at going with the JBL NSP1's and the DLS or the Sony SA W40 sub.

I will be putting these in a midsized living room with 8 foot ceilings. Also will probably have to put the sub in a rear corner because of the room setup. Will primarily be used for watching movies, on my Sony 51WS if I ever get the flicker fixed but that is whole different story, and some music.

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Check out this website, give them a call and ask to talk to Marc. They sell Dahlquists, good stuff priced well.

Dahlquist Qx 6's are a bookshelf speaker that are pretty good and quite affordable.

http://www.audioshop.on.ca/dahlquist.htm

A.

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Ascend Acoustics are great speakers also. Check out the CBM-170's. They are also bookshelf speakers. Ascend

4. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

I got my Paradigm Monitor 9s brand-new for $450 USD (after the conversion since someone picked them up for me in Toronto [​IMG]), so hopefully you can get lucky like I did?

5. Douglas H.

Douglas H. Auditioning

Axiom M22ti's. $360 at the Axiom Audio factory outlet when available. $400 if not at the outlet, shipping included. M3i also a great choice and even less expensive.

6. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

That is $400 for the 5.1 set isn't it?

7. yung cheng

yung cheng Extra

If you can go to Fry's (they are everywhere in CA.), they have polk R30 tower $139/pair, R15 $79/pair, CSI20 $79/each and PSW-350 $199/each, total=$496 i think it's a good starter. But they are on sale alternatively so you may need 3 weeks to get all of them.(or you go for 4 R10 $59/pair, it will be $396 total.)
    From time to time Fry's has ads typos and they honor the first one find the typos.