What's new

Speaker Suggestions: ~$300 (1 Viewer)

Vincent M

Grip
Hi guys,

I know that $300 is really not too much, but it's all I can afford right now. I was going to get the Fluance SX-HTB, but they're raping me with shipping, bringing the total to around $355. I was wondering if you guys could suggest a speaker package that I could pick up at a B&M store. I just need the center, mains, and two surrounds. Is there anything around the $300 range (hopefully including around 8.25% tax) that would be a better bang for my buck than the Fluance SX-HTB? If not, then I guess I'll just have to work overtime at my summer job to get the SX-HTB. Thanks in advance!

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
shipping and handling of around $100 for 100 pounds of speakers doesen't sound like "raping" to me. Remember that is some pretty bulky boxes you are dealing with. In my opinion you would have a tough time finding a comparable set of speakers at a B&M shop for $300. You could consider their AV-HTB for about $50 less but if it were me I would save up and get the SX. Good luck.

Greg

Vincent M

Grip
Yeah, you're right. I guess it just seems like raping to me because I'm poor. I'll probably work some extra hours and go for the SX.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Poor does suck. I've been saving my quarters for about a year now to get some speakers that I will be happy with for at least the next 5 years. I just ordered them- seems like it took me forever. But this week waiting for them to arrive has been tougher than the whole preceding year of saving coin :) Better to be patient for a month or two than dissatisfied for a year or two....

Vincent M

Grip
But all the hard work just makes it that much sweeter when you finally get your speakers and set everything up. I just need the quarter to end so that I can finally get a summer job.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
If you are talking $300 for a pair of speakers, I suggest you look at Paradigm Atoms or Titans. Both should be within your budget.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard really good things about the fluance set. Some choose to purchase their av-sc center channel because the center is the weakest part of the system according to many. I am sure the center that comes with it does a fine job. I have been saving my pennies for about a year now to upgrade my sub.(I have a JBL PB-10). It seems like something always gets in the way
Greg

Vincent M

Grip

Yeah, being a poor college student sucks. Oh well. I was initially going to just spend $500 for the Onkyo HTB, but then slowly I began upgrading this and that, up until I decided to stretch my budget to around $1,300. But, that $1,300 is including almost everything I need, including shipping and tax where applicable.

I'm already planning to buy the HSU STF-2 and the Onkyo TX-SR501, SPL meter, surround speaker stands, an A/V rack, DVD player, and miscellaneous things like cables and speaker wire. So it all adds up really quickly when you calculate shipping and tax. That's why I only have about $300 to spend for the 5 speakers. But, I guess I'll have to stretch that a little to $355, which is what the SX-HTB will cost me. greg is right, though -- $75 for shipping this whole set is understandable, so I guess I'll go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks