What's new

Speaker Suggestion (1 Viewer)

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
For the last 4 years, the speakers I've had are Klipsch quintet III system with a Klipsch 12" sub. I'm really not feeling these speakers anymore. I've had to get them warranted two times already and I'm not crazy with the sound or how loud they get. I want some speakers with a powerful/warm sound, but that are also able to make highs sound really crisp. I use my speakers for lots of movies and when I watch cable sometmes for sports games, but also to listen to music a couple times a week. So I want something that will sound great with a good action movie and with music(all kinds). I like the idea of a DIY build in the sense of getting a better speaker for the value, but I have no idea how to build a cross over(I'm sure I could learn, but don't want to mess anything up) and I am decent at wood work. I only have a circular saw though, i'm sure I would need to buy a power saw. I've read up on some threads on DIY speakers, I've heard of Dayton. It's been about a year since the last time I looked at it. I have one speaker saved on my computer though, it's titled the Dayton 8. Now I would also like some book shelf type speakers and a center channel. So what are some other ones and any tips if I would actually do it myself. It would be nice to just buy speakers, but I don't want to spend 500 dollars for a speaker and be able to build something just as good for $100. I like the looks of a lot of speakers you can buy though. Basically, I'm afraid I won't get the sound I want if I buy already built speakers for a decent price. Size of the speakers aren't an issue. I would be getting or buying these over time, so budget is up in the air. Any help is appreciated, sorry for the jumpiness of this thread, I don't know a lot about all of this so my mind is jumping all over.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have no idea how to build a cross over
Can you solder and look at a picture? Yes, to both and you will be fine.
I only have a circular saw though, i'm sure I would need to buy a power saw.
By "power saw" do you mean table saw? You don't need it. Just use one of these - http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497
it's titled the Dayton 8
Mike built some recently - http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/309547/2-lesser-quality-subs-1-good-sub
Now I would also like some book shelf type speakers and a center channel. So what are some other ones and any tips if I would actually do it myself.
I think he's working on a DIII for a center (like I use) and I've suggested DII's (I use them as L & R) as surrounds. http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D3/dayton3.htm http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D2/d2main.htm

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
pfar said:
you will need a router and some bits. i can give you a list of tools i used and which were a necessity for me if you really want to go the diy route. but i dont know how you can do it without a router. you may not need a circular saw. i add a little length to certain measurements and let home depot make all the cuts since they have a big saw and the cuts are cheap/free. the saw at my home depot doesnt cut perfectly straight. maybe 1/8" off. but because i add a little extra into the measurements in certain spots, i dont care. i have overhang when i glue the pieces together, then i use the router and trim everything flush. Edit for clarity in case it matters: my home depot saw cuts perfect on horizontal cuts. theres just a bit of drift when cutting vertical.

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Robert_J said:
I have no idea how to build a cross over
Can you solder and look at a picture? Yes, to both and you will be fine.
By "power saw" do you mean table saw? You don't need it. Just use one of these - http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497
it's titled the Dayton 8
Mike built some recently - http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/309547/2-lesser-quality-subs-1-good-sub
Now I would also like some book shelf type speakers and a center channel. So what are some other ones and any tips if I would actually do it myself.
I think he's working on a DIII for a center (like I use) and I've suggested DII's (I use them as L & R) as surrounds. http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D3/dayton3.htm http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D2/d2main.htm
Yes I can solder and look at a picture. Where do you put them in the boxes though? Yes I meant a table saw.
Mike Thomass said:
you will need a router and some bits. i can give you a list of tools i used and which were a necessity for me if you really want to go the diy route. but i dont know how you can do it without a router. you may not need a circular saw. i add a little length to certain measurements and let home depot make all the cuts since they have a big saw and the cuts are cheap/free. the saw at my home depot doesnt cut perfectly straight. maybe 1/8" off. but because i add a little extra into the measurements in certain spots, i dont care. i have overhang when i glue the pieces together, then i use the router and trim everything flush. Edit for clarity in case it matters: my home depot saw cuts perfect on horizontal cuts. theres just a bit of drift when cutting vertical.
Thanks for the info, I'll read your whole thread when I have a bit more time. How do the speakers sound? Is there some kind of speaker that I can compare to it locally so I know what I'm building? I keep seeing how the drivers in these Dayton speakers are a great price for the quality, but if I'm getting them for such a great deal are there other drivers, tweeters, or things in the crossover that are better that have only a bit higher price tag that sound even better.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike and I run the Dayton Classic line in our speakers. The Dayton RS line is a step up in price and quality for the drivers but it is also a step up in price for a more complex crossover. Total cost of a similar design with the RS line is 2 to 3 times the cost of the Classic line. For example, the 7" RS woofer has a nasty break-up at 2,200hz and you have to account for it in the crossover design.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
pfar said:
How do the speakers sound? Is there some kind of speaker that I can compare to it locally so I know what I'm building?
i think they sound great however, i am not an audiophile and these are my first speakers the only thing i can compare them to is random $2000 a pair speakers i listened to at best buy. mine sound better in my opinion consider however that i may not know wtf im listening for, and that the receiver the $2000 a pair speakers were hooked up to gets touched by lots of people, and the setup was probably not calibrated (not that calibration would make it sound differently to me or anybody else maybe) basically what im telling you is that i cant really help you with the 'how do they sound" question however, robert j has the D2 and D3 which get just as good reviews as the D8, and he is telling us that the D2 and D3 are easily comparable to more expensive speakers. i trust robert and thus i think its safe to assume you wouldnt be sad with the D8 performance. i understand were youre coming from with the 'if i spend $150 and they sound great, why not spend $500 and get even greater', but i definitely cant help you with finding a $500 plan.

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I went to best buy to try and listen to their most expensive speakers, but the best one they had was the klipsch f-25. That same one has been there since I bought my klipsch quintet 3-4 years ago. Plus it wasn't even hooked up, so I don't know what to do to try to listen to 'expensive' speakers. What is the site for the drivers and cross over parts? I'l start pricing this together and see how much the more expensive drivers and other components are. Would that make the cabinet size have to differ at all? I also went to sears and looked at routers and they aren't too much. 75-80 bucks plus the bits. What would you guys recomend using to cut the holes for the speakers? A jigsaw or some kind of circular bit that you can put on a drill press? I haven't used wood machinery for 10 years or so (wood shop in school), so I need a couple refreshers. I think my first step would be building the cabinet. Just to make sure I can take my time on that and make it look really nice. What is the best kind of wood to use? I'll read your write up now since I'm sure it will help me with a bunch of questions.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Partsexpress.com. They also have speaker kits, pre-assembled cabinets (but make sure you get the ones with the correct internal volume for you drivers) and all the accessories and hardware you need. http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-building.cfm Madisound.com is another place to look. You can also Google "speaker kits" and come up with all sorts of stuff with varying quality of course. Monoprice for wires/cables http://monoprice.com/ GR Research also has a fine line of speaker kits with and without cabinets. http://gr-research.com/avserieskits.aspx

GabrielSpeaks

Auditioning
Real Name
derrik
First of all, your Klipsch speakers sound like you've got about the best the human ear can pick up. I really don't see a novice building a speaker any better. Personally it sounds like a receiver problem. Onkyo makes a 7.1 surround that is reasonably cost effective. It allows you to adjust each speaker's distance to give you that "sweet" spot. I am working on a design, sort of like , looking at a soccer ball. but what receiver are you using?

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
gene c said:
Partsexpress.com. They also have speaker kits, pre-assembled cabinets (but make sure you get the ones with the correct internal volume for you drivers) and all the accessories and hardware you need. http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-building.cfm Madisound.com is another place to look. You can also Google "speaker kits" and come up with all sorts of stuff with varying quality of course. Monoprice for wires/cables http://monoprice.com/ GR Research also has a fine line of speaker kits with and without cabinets. http://gr-research.com/avserieskits.aspx
Thanks I will definitely check these sites out. I'm sure I will have a bunch of questions later once I start this.
GabrielSpeaks said:
First of all, your Klipsch speakers sound like you've got about the best the human ear can pick up. I really don't see a novice building a speaker any better. Personally it sounds like a receiver problem. Onkyo makes a 7.1 surround that is reasonably cost effective. It allows you to adjust each speaker's distance to give you that "sweet" spot. I am working on a design, sort of like , looking at a soccer ball. but what receiver are you using?
My klipsch speakers are fine and get loud, but when I get into higher volumes during an action movie it doesn't sound right. It sounds like it's trying to hard and things get muffled with all of the explosions and gun shots. The other night I watched the mechanic and when things got intense in the movie it sounded like the speakers were really being stressed. Also gun shots didn't sound like they should. With getting new speakers I want this problem resolved along with more of a powerful/warm sound (what I think I would get with a larger more powerful speaker). My reciever does have issues. It's a pioneer vsx-1017. It's about 4 years old and two channels are blown. I'm going to be upgrading recievers before I build the speakers. My reciever has the function with the distance of the speakers.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
pfar said:
I went to best buy to try and listen to their most expensive speakers, but the best one they had was the klipsch f-25. That same one has been there since I bought my klipsch quintet 3-4 years ago. Plus it wasn't even hooked up, so I don't know what to do to try to listen to 'expensive' speakers. What is the site for the drivers and cross over parts? I'l start pricing this together and see how much the more expensive drivers and other components are. Would that make the cabinet size have to differ at all? I also went to sears and looked at routers and they aren't too much. 75-80 bucks plus the bits. What would you guys recomend using to cut the holes for the speakers? A jigsaw or some kind of circular bit that you can put on a drill press? I haven't used wood machinery for 10 years or so (wood shop in school), so I need a couple refreshers. I think my first step would be building the cabinet. Just to make sure I can take my time on that and make it look really nice. What is the best kind of wood to use? I'll read your write up now since I'm sure it will help me with a bunch of questions.
Pfar, the router needs to be a plunge router, not a fixed base.for 75 bucks, I'm guessing you were looking at low end fixed base maybe. I ended up with a $200 bosch combo package. I had the same question as you about the speaker holes.when you read the thread you will see it. You will use the router, spiral upcut bit, and circle jig to countersink the speakers, and then you can use the jigsaw to make the smaller opening. We can explain better if need be when the time comes. Theres a place to get router bits at a nice price s well, can't recall the name at the moment.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
Btw, I'm not saying you need to spend big bucks on the router, just needs to be a plunge base and should be ready to adjust depth accurately

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"My klipsch speakers are fine and get loud, but when I get into higher volumes during an action movie it doesn't sound right. It sounds like it's trying to hard and things get muffled with all of the explosions and gun shots. The other night I watched the mechanic and when things got intense in the movie it sounded like the speakers were really being stressed. Also gun shots didn't sound like they should." Maybe you have the crossover setting set too low. You could be pushing the receiver past it's limit as well. I had a 1014 for a while and thought at higher volumes it started to flatten out a bit. But I didn't listen at high volumes too often, if ever. But the 10xx series had a prety good amplifier section untill the 1019. Then they down-graded it a bit.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been reading the reviews on a new design from Curt C - http://speakerdesignworks.com/NS6project_1.html Extremely efficient at 92db at 1 watt but also inexpensive at about $100 per speaker. Wood needs to be MDF. It's a mess. I know because I finished helping a friend build a new box for his car's SPL setup. He metered at 143db at the last show but thinks he can do louder. With a 15" driver and three 4" ports, there was MDF dust EVERYWHERE. After you build the box you paint it or veneer it. Router bits - http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ I use the 3/4" and 1" round over bits to make my own flared ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks