Speaker + subwoofer combined connect problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howie Hsu, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Howie Hsu

Howie Hsu Extra

Hi all,
    My friend currently owns an Onkyo 600 receiver and is currently looking to buy mains/rears. However, in the interim, he wants to hook his computer speaker system (i.e. Receiver ---> Subwoofer ----> 4 Speakers). The Sub only has an RCA out and no other inputs/outputs. What is the proper connection to the receiver for this Sub? Im assuming it's not supposed to be connected to the subout but rather as a L/R input. Still it's not been working.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

First, I'll have to say that I love your subwoofers. [​IMG]
    This confuses me.. I've never heard of a subwoofer with no inputs.
    I am beginning to think that the sub is a part of a multimedia 4.1 system. Then you'll need to connect the speakers to the receiver and the sub should get a signal from one of the speakers.
    There has to be a way for the subwoofer to receiver a signal whether it be from the speaker's inputs or another input you're not aware of. If the subwoofer has no inputs at all then it may very well be the first passive static subwoofer. Or since the subwoofer has an output then you could be mistaking the source for a subwoofer (like a CD player). JK just playin

3. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Sounds to me like it is a PC type speaker system that you connect the speakers to the line-in on the sound card and then everything plugs into the sub???

I wouldn't hook a computer speaker system to a recevier, they are probably meant to accept a tiny bit of power like 1v output of the sound card, and probably have their own amplifier! I would suspect if you connected them to a pre-amp out they would work.

4. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

Damn I thought somebody has at last come out...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Howie Hsu

Howie Hsu Extra

I know. I've been trying to convince him to buy real speaker but he refuses. This is what he has:

Anyway to connect to an Onkyo TSR600 receiver? The woofer has a digitial coaxial INPUT however the onkyo does NOT have a coaxial OUTPUT only a optical OUTPUT. Is there a type of converter than than accept a coaxial and convert to optical?