Speaker + subwoofer combined connect problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howie Hsu, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Howie Hsu

Howie Hsu Extra

Hi all,
    My friend currently owns an Onkyo 600 receiver and is currently looking to buy mains/rears. However, in the interim, he wants to hook his computer speaker system (i.e. Receiver ---> Subwoofer ----> 4 Speakers). The Sub only has an RCA out and no other inputs/outputs. What is the proper connection to the receiver for this Sub? Im assuming it's not supposed to be connected to the subout but rather as a L/R input. Still it's not been working.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm going to guess that the single RCA is an INPUT rather than an output. Since there is only one choice, the process of elimination should be rather short... Without speaker level inputs, you obviously cannot connect the sub any other way. The other speakers likely connect directly to the receiver rather than loop through the sub.

3. Howie Hsu

Howie Hsu Extra

Hey John,
    Maybe I was not being too detailed enough. But the speakers can ONLY connect to the subwoofer. So therefore, all audio has to go through the RCA inputs on the subwoofer. Given that, which slot on the receiver would you connect this RCA in from the woofer in order for ALL audio to go through it? Is that possible?

4. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

Let me understand this little better:
    - You have 'computer speaker' system - that consists of a sub, and 4 speakers.
    - All 4 speakers connect to the sub only. (Can you explain this better?)
    - The sub has some connectors for the 4 speakers (I am assuming this - any labels? )
    - The sub additionally has a RCA connector (How is this labeled?)

How did your friend connect is computer sound card to this system? Your statement "all audio has to go through the (single) RCA inputs on the subwoofer" does not make sense. Even to carry a stereo input you would need 2 RCAs

Any more detail that you can provide so that someone could help you?

5. Howie Hsu

Howie Hsu Extra

This is the speaker system:

Can this be connected to the Onkyo 600 receiver and act as the speaker system? The subwoofer has a digital coaxial connection but wouldn't that then have to be connected to the receiver's DIGITAL COAXIAL OUT (which the receiver does not have)?

6. John Garcia

John
    Based on that, it doesn't look like these speakers will work with the SR600 due to the lack of a coaxial dig. out. If you plug the sub out, you will get little or no sound from the other speakers.

This is a self powered system, and could be hooked to the headphone jack, but that would defeat the purpose of having the amplifier.

Looks like he will just have to go out and get some speakers.

7. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

The sub's digital connection is stated as 'Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format'. I am not sure that this is same as the Digital Co-ax format - you may want to confirm this.

I think the best way to go about this will be to connect your receiver's pre-out to the connectors labeled as 'ANALOG SURROUND & FRONT' on the sub. You need to rig up a cable that has two RCA connectors on one end and a phono type of connector on the other end.

What I mean is both the L/R main signal go from the L/R pre-out from the receiver to the Analog/Front connector on the sub. (Is there a pre-out on the receiver?)

Check at RadioShack or some store for such connector and try it out.

8. Howie Hsu

Howie Hsu Extra

Thanks John. There is no such thing as converter that converts a coaxial connection into a optical one?

9. Howie Hsu

Howie Hsu Extra

Thanks Chella. Actually, the Onkyo TSR600 does NOT have a pre-out so I think that's not possible [​IMG] . Thanks though. I was hoping for some kind of converter/adapter that could connect a Digitial Optical with a Digital Coaxial or vice versa.

10. John Garcia

John
    I am not sure on the optical to coax or vice versa, so you might have to ask another question for that also, possibly in the interconnects forum. I believe there is such a thing, but I don't know where you would get it. Radio Shack would be my first thought to check.