What's new

Speaker/Sub Placement in odd-shaped room! (1 Viewer)

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Here's a layout of my room:
Roomsetup.JPG

As you can see, it is rather odd shaped room, and not near ideal for an HT environment. Well I'm planning on adding a Buttkicker II and upgrading to an SVS sub (possibly dual-SVS) and I already I forsee problems with placement. As you can see, all my corners are already taken. I have heard however, from several audiophiles that corner-loaded subs produce boomy distorted bass. How true is this statement? What would you guys suggest I do (with 1 and/or Two SVS's)? If necessary I can clear out the right rear corner of my room for an SVS or two, or perhaps may push out my equipment rack to fit a single sub in the front right corner... if I get two, would I experience destructive interference if I place one on each side of my bed or 1 on each side of my computer desk?
Also would it be a bad idea to keep my current sub (in it's current place) once I get the SVS('s)? Once again, will that lead to destructive interference? I doubt it would be even worth it as it's not very effective or nearly as effective as an SVS. I am however quite the bass-head... hence the necessity of the added buttkicker II to the system. I'm concerned however, that the BKII might be a waste of money. Will the tactile force of the BKII surpass that of the impact of an SVS? And if I get one, how should I set it up? You see, my bed consists of a mattress on top of a wooden platform with two hollow rectangular wooden supports on each end of the bed. I'm thinking I could vertically mount the BK on the underside of the platform. Will having it upside down hinder it's performance? Would the force be transfered to the room or will it be limited to just the bed? The room is carpeted, so should I be concerned?
If you guys could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Any other furniture or speaker placement, or any other room setup suggestions would be welcomed as well!

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
quote: I have heard however, from several audiophiles that corner-loaded subs produce boomy distorted bass. How true is this statement? [/quote]
This is not necessarily true...I think it depends on the sub. If you take the sub away from the corner, you will usually get less output and less of the "room filling" effect.
I think the problem most audiophiles have with corner loaded external subs is regarding music...most of them probably prefer to have the sub placed closer (or even in between) the mains to achieve "better" driver blending.
For your situation, I think you should experiment a little with positioning to find out what works best for you...if you can corner-load the sub, then try this to start.
[Edited last by Bob_A on November 05, 2001 at 12:12 AM]

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I have a very awkward shaped room as well. Corner loading my sub (B&W ASW1000) gave me better bass response throughout a greater range. I listen to mostly music, so musical bass was my priority. Corner loading helped a good deal in a room that is an acoustiv nightmare. I've read corner loading is counter intuitive, but what can I say? I like it much better....
Bottom line: Don't be afraid to move that sucker around. Experiment.
--Steve

Mike Kao

Second Unit
So would any of the available spots along the back and right side walls be ineffecient for the sub? Any buttkicker installment suggestions?

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
sorry mike, i'm not knowledgable enough to hazzard a guess based only on the diagram. My solution would be to spend an afternoon moving it around and trying out different locations. Maybe someone else can give you a better response.
--Steve

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I cannot advise on the best place for the subwoofer in your room because it just takes dialing in and experimentation. Just move it around and listen. It is a small room though, so perhaps if you try it away from corners, you may find the response better?
But.........I can give you some advice to allow for more options. You have a small room. When you have a small room, you have to make the most of the space. Here is what I did.
1) You won't like this suggestion, but....Can you put you PC in another room? I did and it made everything ok in my 14 x 16 foot room. Granted, my room is quite a bit bigger than yours, but eliminating the PC desk would allow you to place a subwoofer where the PC was, away from corners. Along the wall away from the corners. In a small room, even with a small subwoofer, you'll have good room gain for low frequencies, so getting away from the corner would provide flatter bass. Your room is quite small, so ...... at least try swapping the PC desk and the printer stand to allow for NON-CORNER placement of an SVS sub. Then again, the PC in the room prevents the bed from going along the back wall. Know what? Get a LAPTOP
wink.gif

2) With the PC out of the room.....If I had your room, I would also seriously consider putting the bed length-wise across that back wall. That way when you listen to music or watch TV or movies, you can either lay on either side, lean back into the wall or sit on the end of your bed and the bed won't be in the way. I tried positioning my bed like you have, but I didn't like the fact that the bed was sucking up a lot of the sound in the middle of the room. Also, when you have friends over, you can entertain at least 2 friends. Each person sits on the bed and leans back against the wall.
3) Also, loose the audio stand that is on the side. Look for an audio/video stand that holds your TV. I bought a TV stand that houses ALL my equipment so the Audio/Video stand in your corner would also be gone. In my case, I use that space to put my clothes dresser. Maybe those stackables could go there in the absense of the audio stand? I have a TV stand that is very wide and holds 5 components. SVHS VCR, LD player, CD player, DVD player and receiver. I could easily modify it to add at least one more component. Its from IKEA. If you want, I can show you a picture. I really should take a picture of my setup, as it is quite good for a small room. My main use is listening to music.
4) Use narrow front speakers. I choose tower speakers which are 8 inches wide. Leaves room.
I even mounted one surround speaker kind of inside the panel wall.
Just my suggestions. Experiment. For sure if you don't use the PC for DVD, then I highly suggest getting it out of your room! Your room should be used for sleeping, listening to music and watching movies and maybe reading, but PC in the room is not necessary for me.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 05, 2001 at 07:41 PM]

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Thanks for your input Chris. I considered putting the bed horizontally in the back corner, and when I last rearranged the room I even originally tried that setup, but it just didn't work out. Perhaps the bed is too wide, b/c it looked rather odd pertruding out so far from the back wall. Even though floor space would be a bonus, it's not a must. As it is, I can fit more than just one (on the bed). I have a reclining leather seat on the left side of the bed, and a beanbag chair on the right side. Not to say I have the room to throw a party in here, but I can make do with the space.
I still have a few questions lingering...
What acoustic/sonic problems might I encounter b/c of the side entrance corner of my room? What should I be concerned with? Perhaps it would be better if I place the subwoofer somewhere in the back towards the left so less waves get 'stuck' in that front left corner? Perhaps someone with room-optimization software can help me out with placement? I realize that sub placement isn't my only problem; my front speakers are probably a bit close and my rears aren't exactly perfectly level (right rear is about half a foot lower (left-rear is about 6'6" off the ground w/ the right right rear at 6')... argh, acoustic HELL!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks