speaker stuffing, how much?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Heitert, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Brian Heitert

Brian Heitert Auditioning

i am filling some speakers with cotton batting. how much do i stuff in there? half full, totally stuffed, suggestions please! thank you guys.

2. Aaron Plaza

Aaron Plaza Auditioning

Start at 1lb per cubic foot. Fluff or tease or whatever you call it just dont compact it. You want the fill to take up the complete cavity. Ive never used cotton, I typically use polyester fiberfill.

3. Robert A

Robert A Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    This depends on the type of box you are stuffing. If the box is sealed adding stuffing will increase the virtual size of the box as seen by the woofer. It will also change driver f3 and Qts depending on the density and distribution of the material. Stuffing is an art so play around with a couple of different configurations. If you get too much it will sound boomy or muddy. It has many benefits though especially in reducing or eliminating standing waves. Try and keep it away from resting on the back of the woofer as this will result in damping losses. I would reccomend using long fiber wool or R19 fiberglass insulation. I've used both of these and I really like the wool, although the fiberglass is cheaper and works really well too. I've never used cotton so let me know if you like it.
    If the speaker is vented than you can be pretty liberal with the stuffing. It will primarily help in cancelation of standing waves inside the enclosure. There are two schools of thought on vented damping. One is to line the walls of the box while the other says to fill the open space of the box instead of the walls. I've tried both and found them both to be just as good as the other.
    -Rob

4. Aaron Plaza

Aaron Plaza Auditioning

Robert,
    Have you ever used fiberglass on a vented sub. Ive heard that fibers can be ejected through the port. I was wondering if this is true or not. In that same respect could it cause any problems with a sealed sub, say getting in the voice coil or something.

5. Robert A

Robert A Stunt Coordinator

Aaron,
    I use fiberglass all of the time. I build speakers for others in my free time. I've never had a problem with it blowing out the vent. If it is attached to the walls of the speaker box I don't think you'll have a problem. If it is used to fill up the empty space of the box then keep it away from the end of the port which is where the only air travel will be. I've never seen fiberglass build up in the driver in a sealed box either. I know that some people fill there port tubes 75% full with fiberglass and they use nails through the tube or something similar to hold it in, although I have never done this.