Speaker Stands?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Burke, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I have floor standing speakers and have been told that stands would help. However, when I went to look at speaker spikes the guy showed four speaker spikes for 70bucks. I nearly choked! I'm a college student who does not have that kind of money to just chuck onto a tweak.
    So my question is, is there a cheap way or cheap speaker spikes to make stands? I would appreciate any help. I know that this has been asked in the past, but I could not find it. Thanks[​IMG]

2. Tom Held

Tom Held Agent

Scott,
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you wanting speaker stands or spikes or both?
    Try www.partsexpress.com for nice,inexpensive stands and spikes.
    Or a cheap spike alternative is Hunting Arrow Practice points. They come in a couple differnet sizes and are adjustable for hieght. They aren't as pretty as the higher priced spikes but you hardly will ever see them anyway.
    Good luck,

3. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

What height speaker stand would you reccomend for a 11inch high speaker? 24inch or a 36inch

4. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

You want the tweeter to be at ear height, so buy stands that put the tweeter at that height.[​IMG]

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

sounds reasonable!

6. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

Not all tweeters are designed to be put at ear height. Take the Gershman Avante Guarde's for one.

7. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Not familiar with that speaker. Is it a ribbon tweeter. I guess I should have qualified my answer with a "general rule of thumb"[​IMG]

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

scott -

when i was in collge i used milk-crates to get my speakers off the floor. my friend used concrete blocks for his gear. worked fine...

you mention you aleady have floor standing speakers? how tall are they? don't they already have some sort of spikes or feet?