What's new

Speaker Stands (1 Viewer)

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I have a 7.1 system. Front, side, and rear speakers are cambridgesoundworks M80s. And the center channel is a MC500. The center is set on top of the TV so its aproximately 3'4" off the floor. I was wondering about setting the rest of the speakers to the same height. Currently they are setup makeshift like on wooden TV dinner stands (for lack of a better name). But they don't lift the speackers up over the top of the couch. I was thinking about making my own stands unless there are reasonably price stands that can hold the speakers and are of the right height.

I guess I'm just looking for some input from those of you that have done this kind of thing.

chris_everett

Second Unit
You can get speaker stands (some with adjustable height) from a number of sources. In addition to hi-fi type places, pro audio people use them for monitor stands in studios and the like, which would work well for you if you wanted a metal stand (as opposed to wood)

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Could you link me to some? I'm not quite sure I follow. I'll also have to try and locate a place that would carry such an item in the area unless there is a decent online source to purchase something along the lines of what your refering. Wood or metal makes no difference to me I am just looking for somwthing more suitable than what they are currently on and so that they are high enough off the floor.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Oh I see. I could probably make a 4' version of those $140 stands. I don't think the materials cost nearly as much as the price they want unless that is for the pair. Shame they don't have a 4' version

chris_everett

Second Unit
They are all priced per pair. There may be others out there, but that gives you an idea of what to search for.

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
Those are probably around $60(1 or 2 sheets of MDF and spikes) without wood and without wood would be incredibly cheap to make them yourself. And shouldn't all speaker stands over $140 have spikes on them or something like that? I just see a slab of wood that goes on the carpet on that pair.

chris_everett

Second Unit
That set seems overpriced to me too, but their's also a $60 pair that's adjustable, has carpet spikes, and clamps to your speakers. Building something yourself will almost always be cheaper, if you have the expertise and tools to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks