Speaker Stands

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AndyLee, Jul 20, 2004.

1. AndyLee

AndyLee Auditioning

I'm looking at buying a pair of the Paradigm Monitor 5v3's, which measure 12-3/8" x 8-1/8" x 21-1/4" (LxWxH), and I've little idea as to what size stands I'll need. From a height perspective, these are a bit taller than most bookshelf speakers, so am I talking 15-20"? What about base size? How comfortably can a speaker sit on a stand with an inch or two sticking out on each size? Is there a particular brand I should be looking into? (And of course the ringer - Will I need to spend $100+?)

All help will be greatly appreciated.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You really want the tweeters within 2" of your ear height when sitting in your normal spot. That dimension will determine the height of the stands you buy. Just a rule of thumb, but a good one.

The top plate of the stand should be the same or smaller than the base dim's of the speaker, but actual placement is the best way to determine if they will be stable. Use blu-tack or other sticky compound on the corners for adhesion, works great. I can tilt mine better than 45 degrees and they do not fall off.

I have Athena B1's on 24" stands, top plate a bit too small, but no problems with stability.

Good luck!

(Look at parts express for some good designs, but shipping may be expensive...)

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since you're asking for specific advice on purchasing speaker stands, I've moved your thread to the Accessories section. The Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level. Good luck.

(You don't have to spend megabucks on speaker stands.)

4. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

A speaker can very comfortably sit on a stand with a base place significantly smaller than its size:

Click for large photo:
    [​IMG]

Here's what the bottom looks like:

[​IMG]

These stands are made by Epos, specifically for the Epos ELS-3 speakers (not necessarily for the ELS-3C center channel, however) and although they can't be filled with shot, they probably don't need to be considering the isolation spikes between the top plate and the speaker and the bottom plate and the carpet.