speaker stands

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by rickey taylor, Apr 27, 2003.

1. rickey taylor

I was thinking about making speaker stands out of wood and drywall is that a real problem for sound or could it help in some ways.

2. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

3. rickey taylor

THANKS PVC looks like a good idea

4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

what did you use to cut the PVC with?
    Tim

5. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

I used a table saw. It was kind of tricky. I started off with four pieces cut at the hardware store. So neither end was square/level. I had to get one side of the PVC nice and level. Then I could butt that end up against the fence and cut the other end level pretty easily.

It would probably work best if you bought a long PVC tube from the hardware store and then used the factory end (which is hopefully pretty square/level. Butt that end against the fence and cut your lengths from there.

6. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

sounds like fun[​IMG]
    one more question for you-by the way they look real nice. What did you use for paint? did you brush or spray it on and did you sand the pvc before painting it? I only ask because I am looking to build some speaker stands for my surrounds using red oak for the whole thing- but the PVC way seems interesting.
    Tim

7. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks!

I used a brush because I got a lot more paint for the money. but either option would work. Some people over at the DIY section have used spray. I have also seen some people who used a laminate on the PVC to make it look like wood.

I used sandpaper on the PVC, just enough to get the shiney finish off the pipe.

Good luck!

8. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Here's my VERY cheap stands. Click here

I used cheap soft wood and PVC with the cheapest gloss black spray at Wally World and they turned out surprisingly great! I filled them with playground sand - added spikes and I'm all set. You wouldn't believe the total $ in these.