What's new

Speaker Stands w/ pics (1 Viewer)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i really like the inlay on the base of the stands, any thoughts on hiding the wires? I think it would really make them a bit better.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Thought went through my head but I thought it wasn't worth the effort with how much I have to move these around(college). It would be tough to hide them completely but I could keep them close to the center post and drop them through the bottom plate without too much trouble. Just a few drill holes

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Those look great!

My store-bought oak stands came with stick-on plastic clips to hold the speaker wire close to the post and out of sight.

They're similar to THESE but mine were brown and matched the wood better. But you get the idea.

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
What is the weight of these stands? I've read so much about sound transfer through a better heavier stand. How does it sound vs. sitting your speaker on a crate or something?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
with no extra weight added I would say they weigh around 10lbs each(oak's heavy). I might add some weights to the bottom for better stability but its not needed. I would say that the speakers sound better on these than on what I had them on before(a portable keyboard bench. But I think that was mostly because the top was padded on those. Thanks for the link to those clips. Those might be a good option.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Solid wood is a very good sound conductor and is resonant (which makes it a not very good speaker stand) (but it IS pretty). MDF is worse at conducting sound and is virtually resonance-free. Metal is a good conductor but often metal stands can be filled with sand/shot for damping sound/resonances. Any stand will pretty much benefit from using sorbethane pads betw. the speaker and stand ... it helps damp sound too.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I doubt that the wood would make that much of a difference to the sound that I would notice to be a bad change. Considering they use hardwood in intruments...isn't that because they don't want it to bend from the sound pressure...which would lead me to believe that hard wood is better than soft. But hey, I have no experience in acoustics! Nevertheless, I betcha if I set them on the floor or anything else, I wouldn't tell that much of a difference

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"Considering they use hardwood in intruments...isn't that because they don't want it to bend from the sound pressure...which would lead me to believe that hard wood is better than soft..."

Ah, but they use hardwood in instruments exactly because of its resonant properties. (When you hear a Stradivarius, you are hearing the wood resonate the frequency produced by the bow scraping across the strings.)

Anyway, you are mostly right, it is generally barely noticeable/measurable. The idea is for the speaker cabinet not to transfer sound to the stand and for the stand to not conduct that sound further.

It's no biggie. Just a point of interest.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I saw some setting that you can put your speaker in that is suppose to isolate the speaker. Not sure if those work or not but they would be interesting to try

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks