Speaker Stands on a Budget

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Eric Walsh, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a pair of speaker stands for my rear surround Onkyo HTS650 speakers. I would like to stay on or under $50 for the pair and would like them to be no lower than around 47 inches in height. At the moment I am conisdering this pair

Speaker stands at Parts Express

Does anyone have any suggestions for me or any experience with the stands or stands like the ones in the link above? Thanks in advance for your help in this decision.

-Eric

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are almost no stands that are 47" tall, and most of those that are, are not what I would consider stable. With the speakers that come with the HTS, I would say they will probably be OK, but nothing larger.

How did you arrive at 47"?

Your best bet for $50 is DIY.

3. Paul Powell

Paul Powell Auditioning

I'm considering these:

Walmart Speaker Stands

I don't like the color, so I will probably paint them black. From the picture they look decent, I plan to stop by Wally world today and check them out.

Regards

4. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Eric,

I use the stands shown by Paul. Walmart has them for $30.
    They work fine for my Polk 6600 surrounds that are about the same size as your Onkyos. They are gray in color, but have a crinkle paint that would repaint nicely if needed.

They have a number of mounting options included in the package, but most of them are for mounting to the back of the speaker. They will expand to around the 4 foot height you are looking for.

Dennis

5. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

6. Eric Walsh

Thanks for all your help already. I was aware of the Walmart speaker stands from doing some searches but was turned off by the color and was worried about sturdiness of these stands. The Radio Shack stands are new to me and will check them out at my local store I am still leaning toward the ones in the link I provided unless someone tells me something wrong with them.

Dennis,
    How sturdy are the Walmart speaker stands with your speakers on them? Do you feel they would tip over easily if bumped, Etc? And how high do you have yours?

John,
    The reason I picked the 47 inch height was because that seems to be the maximum height or around that height for the adjustable speaker stands I have been seeing. You mentioned DIY stands. Do you have a link of something you are thinking of?

Once again thank you all.

-Eric

7. Eric Walsh

Double post

8. John Garcia

John
    What I mean by DIY (sorry no links off hand), if you have any wood working skills and some simple tools, you could build decent stands for yourself. You will have to invest time, but you should end up with exactly what you want in the end. If you don't have tools, this may be more costly than you are looking for. Try asking in the DIY forum here, as I know there have been posts with some good suggestions for DIY stands (I have not checked recently).

The reason I ask about height, is because my recommendation is to have your front mains at the same height as the rears, and ideally they should both be about ear level when seated. This may open up some other possibilities, and/or alleviate the need for tall stands.

9. Eric Walsh

John,
    Alright well your idea of having all speakers at the same height is interesting. I always thought it was ideal to have the rear surrounds above your ear level. For the last few months I have had all my speakers at the same level (around ear level) and felt that when sitting with two people the sounds from the opposite side I am sitting get lost and the sounds from the side I am sitting seem too close, or loud. Is this making any sense? And why is it ideal to have all speakers at the same ear level? I am open to anything and just want to have a good sounding set-up that I can feel confident in. My push toward higher surround stands was motivated from reading various places and thinking that this was the ideal setup. If it is not, please correct me.

-Eric

10. Dennis Gardner

Eric,

The Walmart stands are made by Atlantic and have a sturdy steel base that is triangular in shape. This shape is great for front to back stability but side to side isn't as tip proof. My cats have knocked mine over when running around furniture. I have mine at 36" high and backed into a corner so they only tip into the wall if knocked over.

In my dedicated HT I use Wood Technology Stands

They are far superior in my opinion, and look great holding my Polk RT25I mains and CS350LS center around my 92" screen.
    I have the 31"mains and 12" center.

Dennis

11. John Garcia

John
    Eric,

What orientation do you have the speakers in, with respect to the listening area? Are the speakers along side, or behind the listener? If you can get the rears behind the listener, it will reduce (but not eliminate) the collapsing effect of sitting nearer to one speaker. Above somewhat helps as well, their placement really depends on your room. If your seating position is up against the back wall and the surrounds are along side you, you are asking for trouble. Try pointing the speakers in different directions, not directly at the listener, to see what gives the best results in your room.

12. Larry/co

Larry/co Extra

If you would like a wood stand instead of the department store stuff, I highly recommend a custom craftsman I found on Ebay.Keyword Speaker stands and look for GWiz products.
    He will custom make your stands from Solid oak with 3 lacquer coats of Minwax stains of your choice.
    The price is very good,$75 is all and that includes taxes and Fed Ex. Check them out, tell them Larry Coles sent ya.

13. JerryCulp

JerryCulp Stunt Coordinator

Larry: Those are nice stands at good prices.

Eric;
    For real cheap, and I do mean CHEAP! You could get a 1x12x8 and a 2x4x8(or10) at HD and have them cut the 1x12 to make the the top and bottom, and cut the 2x4 for the column. Nail or screw them together.
    You could substitute the 2x4 with a pair or trio of dowels.

Some sanding and spray paint and viola!

14. Joey_N

Joey_N Agent

Quick link to GWiz's Business site.

15. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

16. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

you might want to check This link out. Those look like they could be very cheaply made and could be made as tall as you like. You will just have to keep the center of gravity very low. Go to a fitness store and pick up a couple of plate style weights that could slide down the pole and rest at the bottom, ugly but very effective...

17. Eric Walsh

Well I have decided against DIY speaker stands seeing as I have no tools or skills to make them. And after John mentioned having all the speakers at ear level I rethought what I was thinking. I am now leaning toward a speaker stand around 24 inches, that would look a little better in the living room and not so easily tip. Options so far are:

Sanus 24 inch
    or
    Wood Technology 24.5 inch

Both of these stands keep me around my $50 price range. Comments/suggestions/help?

-Eric

18. Dennis Gardner

Eric,

As I posted earlier, I use the Wood Technology stands for my main HT. HiFi-for-Less carries this line for a little less than the one you posted. I have the HD models which are made of oak instead of fiberboard and they look great. I think the HD 26E is only $7 more for hardwood. HD 21E is $5 more. They are really quality! Just a thought.

Dennis

19. Eric Walsh

Dennis,

I have the HD 26 Wood Technology speakers that I am currently using for my rear speakers and really like them. I am leaning towards using the same speaker stands for my front speakers as well. Is there a huge difference in look between these speaker stands and the Sanus ones I linked above? I like the look of the Sanus speakers a lot but would love to have a matching set. Should I buy the 21 inch or 26 inch hardwood Wood Technology speakers if I go that way?

-Eric

20. Dennis Gardner

I prefer the hardwood myself since they are harder to chip than fiberboard, my sub has a fiberboard base and setting it down on any corner seems to chip it a bit, but some say that the fiberboard is less prone to vibrations from sound, so it is a user's choice.

I found that the 31" put my speakers at ear level for my seating, with the 12 inch center stand being made to angle up & achieve a similar result from under my projection screen.

I don't believe that 5 inches really makes much of a difference, (21" to 26")but along side a TV, different heights may be more appealling than others. Try setting your current speakers up for the best overall sound and appearance, then order the stand that best suits your needs.

The only other suggestions that I have for using a stand that the speaker rests upon, is to make sure if traffic is heavy around the stand, attach your speaker to protect it from falling off.