Speaker stands how to?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ryan R F, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Ryan R F

Ryan R F Auditioning

I'd like to build some simple but good looking speaker stands for my surrounds. Anyone have a how to or good guide/plans that I could follow?

2. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Ryan, I don't have plans handy, but I built some pretty easy stands for my surrounds that I'm very happy with. Check out the link in my sig, there are a bunch of pictures in there (some while they were set up as mains) and if you would like to know more about them I'd be glad to post some instructions.

3. Ryan R F

Ryan R F Auditioning

Those look really good.... few questions... how much did the materials cost? How did you round the edges like that? Thanks!

4. RobertMc

RobertMc Agent

Hi there Ryan

I haven't made any speaker stands myself, but when browsing for some flexy-rack info, I did come across a speaker stand design at TNT-Audio (dot com).

Go to tnt-audio (dot com) and follow the links to 'racks and stands' and then have a look at "the TNT Stubby".

Not sure if it's what you are after, but hope it helps.

ROB

PS - I can't post the URL in this message - I'm only fairly new here and haven't racked up enough messages to post the link. I'm sure you will find it though.

5. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Thanks Ryan! The materials were just some 3/4" MDF, probably a half sheet, which if I remember correctly was about $25 at Home Depot. The little roundover was done with a router. You can just experiment on scrap until you get an effect you like.

There aren't really any plans since I built everything to spec in my room. The top supports (where the speaker sits) were made the exact same size as the footprint of my Mini Monitors. The bottom was made a little bigger for support (I think I just took the larger dimension of the top support and made a square that size). The vertical supports were made that size to put the surrounds at seated ear level.

The hardest part of this project was getting the angles right when putting the vertical supports in. Just measure carefully and you'll be ok. I counter sunk all screws, and used some little clear rubber stickies for the speakers to sit on, and on the underside of the base.