1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker stands for surround sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean_B, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for speaker stands that are higher 45" or higher. I have found a pair at audio advisor that is adjustable to 48" and can be sand filled. However, the weight limit says 15lbs and my studio 20's are 28 lbs. a piece I think. I don't have the wall space so I have to have the tallest stand available as I like the surrounds to be above my head and a little behind the listening position.
    I think there is one over at Omnimount 400 A/H series that look a little more solid and look like they could handle more weight and are adjustable to 45".
    What is everyone using or suggest?

2. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

I did some more searching and found these! Pricey at $245/pr. but they look very sturdy. Can be made up to 48" tall. They are called Project 4.
    www.soundanchors.com

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

4. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply but they didn't have anything. The one that was adjustable only holds 11 lbs.
    Unless someone else has any ideas I'll probably go with the one at omnimount for $85/pair.

5. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Sean,
    I put my surrounds (direct radiating) on 26" stands. That puts them right about ear level... and about the same height as my floor standing mains.
    I find this works very well for HT/music. Could it be better? I dunno.. haven't tried them up high... no place to put them. But I'm quite pleased with the sound on these stands.
    Did you try your surrounds lower and didn't like the sound?
    ------------------
    --RR

6. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I would prefer them higher up. The rear speaker sound is to localized. When they are placed higher up and just a little behind ear level you get a more sound envolving back sound that seems much more spacious.

7. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

Sean,
    Here are a couple of ideas for you.
    1. I purchased a media tower from Ames for $29.99. It measures 10"W x 8"D x 60"H and works great for bookshelf speakers. It can be anchored to a wall if speakers are too heavy.
    2. There are several possibilities at http://www.homedecorators.com including various types of furniture accent pieces and pedestals. For example, check out this pyramid shelf which measures 16"W x 12"D x 62"H:
    http://www.homedecorators.com/detail...3+6TIE&comdiv=
    Good luck!
    Cliff

8. Reginald Trent

9. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

Reginald:
    Yeah, I seen those. I have seen them elsewhere too. On another website it stated that those stands can hold only up to 15 lbs. Mine are 28 lbs. These are pretty heavy bookshelves and I don't think they will be able to support the weight at that heighth. What are you using as your surrounds and how heavy are your speakers? That is a good price though.

10. LawrenceK

LawrenceK Stunt Coordinator

Is it not possible to get some wall mounts for your surrounds? I agree it is best to place the surrounds higher up, at about 2-3 ft. about listening level (according to dolby labs). It helps reduce localization, and it keeps the surrounds from being distracting while watching movies, while retaining a sense of envelopment.

11. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

Not possible to get wall mounts. Living runs into dining room. so might right surround would be non-equidistant from the listening position. Back wall has sliding glass door and very small area. Could mount on ceiling I suppose but I don't want them that high (10ft).

12. hong_suy

hong_suy Auditioning

just a question a bit off the topic I'm not quite sure about....
    Instead of getting bookshelf speakers and requiring a speaker stand to support them at the cost of 200-300, why not just use that extra cash to upgrade the speakers to floor standing speakers in the same range which will eliminate the need for speaker stands and also providing bigger speakers matching that output of the front speakers?
    Or is it better to use smaller bookshelf speakers for the rear even though you are running large floorstanding speakers for the front?

13. Reginald Trent

Sean, I believe a 15 lbs capacity is incorrect for those those stands, I also believe they can hold your 28 lb speakers without any problem. However, you might want to call parts express' 800 number to verify.

14. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

hong: the couch would block a pair of floorstanders as well as there is only 2 feet behind the couch. I will have studio 20's all the way around or a pair of 40's for the front when I find them used.
    reginald: ok thanks for your input but I think i'm going to go for the ones at omnimount. They just seem more solid and look more like my stands in the front. $85 isn't a bad price either.

15. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

16. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the help guys. I went and ordered the stands from furniture works for $85.