What's new

Speaker stands for Studio 40? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Because I can see that those are just a cardboard tube with pieces of wood on the ends. Not my idea of quality stands. I wouldn't expect someone to put $1100 speakers on $20 stands. Good stands are a worthwhile item - they should be very solid and preferrably fillable to minimize resonance.

That wire is looking kind of anemic too. What AWG is it?

FYI: You are not allowed to list your gear in your sig.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Cardboard tubes would actually resonate less than PVC. I've seen the TNT stubby plans, and a variety of other DIY stands. Not saying DIY isn't a viable option, but I don't think ~

SteveCallas

Second Unit
"Because I can see that those are just a cardboard tube with pieces of wood on the ends. Not my idea of quality stands. I wouldn't expect someone to put $1100 speakers on $20 stands. Good stands are a worthwhile item - they should be very solid and preferrably fillable to minimize resonance."

They are made from pvc pipe, they are fillable, and you can add spikes if you want. The only advantage you are getting by paying for high priced speaker stands is that they look a little nicer.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Wow, could you be any more bitter? You must be right, the DIY stand in that picture must really like like horseshit. I really don't see much of a difference between the DIY stands and this, but if the little difference there is makes that much of a difference to someone who needs stands, go for it.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Wow, John... :thumbsdown:

Anyway, I also made my own stands using MDF and 3" PVC. The top & bottom plates are a high gloss black & the post is painted to look like brushed aluminum. Bottom plate has nice rounded over edges, post is filled and they look way better than anything else I could buy for the $15 in material costs.

-Dave

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, it was a bit harsh, but that's what it boiled down to WRT what he said. Dismissing decent stands because you made some for $20 isn't exactly being open minded either is it? Point being, if someone wants stands that look good, even if they cost more, (regardless of functionality) why does the comment need to be made that there's no point to paying for something you like the look of? You don't go and buy an ugly car or clothes or whatever because it's cheap do you?

SteveCallas

Second Unit
I didn't say there was no point to purchasing more expensive stands, I said I don't see the need to. Considering the fact that stands are usually low profile, black, and not exactly a piece of furniture that someone would admire, I still don't. As long as they are rugged, sturdy, look decent enough, and get the job done, I would have to believe that most would go ahead and go the most inexpensive route. But if the looks of a speaker stand really make that much of a difference to you, that's fine too, go ahead and get the Premier ones. No need to get pissy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks