What's new

Speaker stands for Paradigm?? (2 Viewers)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Alright guys.. with your help I have happily moved into some Paradigm speakers and out of my HTIB speakers. Now, I have two Titan's as my mains, two Atoms as surrounds, and a cc-170 center. My atoms are sitting on shelves and are around 4 inches or so from teh wall which seems to be adequate enough considering they're ported out of the back. My CC-170 is sitting inside, well, a cabinet more than anything that's in my entertainment center. However, the front of it I have pretty much flush with the front of the entertainment center, and there's about 3 inches open space above and an inch open space on each side. There is also no back on the entertainment center, so from my vantage point it doesn't seem that the sound from the center has been compromised because there is nothing for the sound really to reflect off of (no back). However, one concern with the center I have, is that it sits about a foot and a half higher than ear level, and for some reason Paradigm found it necessary to angle the drivers up (???) which concerns me. Would putting something underneath on the backside to try and lift the back be a problem? I can't figure out what it would be though because I certainly dont' want it to slide, and I don't want it to be something that will affect the sound. And finally my Titan's are currently residing on each side of my entertainment center sitting on two huge 25 year old floor standing Mitsubishi speakers. I don't have any feet on them to minimize the affect that the speaker has on what it's sitting on which I know I need to do if I keep them sitting there. What benefit exactly would I get from replacing these with speaker stands? I'm concerned about stability of the stands, as my stairs coming down are right there next to where the speaker stand will be, and we'll soon have children, I don't want anything that can be knocked over. But I also don't want to compromise the sound, so will the sound improve with stands? I've also heard that having other speakers in the room compromise the sound. Sorry for the long-winded message. Thanks in advance for any help...

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Jeremy, hang your titans from the ceiling with chain. You can pick up the invisible kind at most hardware stores.
That way your kids will be able to knock them about and they will just swing, creating a huge soundstage. You'll also be able to adjust the height by adding or removing links. :)
Actually IMHO you can find a bunch of great stands out there. Here is a link that will give you some ideas. Just make sure they will get the tweet at ear height.

http://audioadvisor.com/store/catego...&CategoryID=55

and...

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....WebPage_ID=227

If you get the ones that are fillable,you can make them pretty heavy so they won't be so easily tipped. Also if they will be going on carpet most have spikes that will push through the carpet and connect with what ever is under there.

As far as the center channel, tilt it if you want. See what sounds good to you. Who cares what your supposed to do. You can get little rubber feet squares to put under the front edge so if you do tilt it, it won't slide. Try "Blue Tack" it works great.

Forget get what you've heard or "what some people say", try it for YOURSELF in YOUR room and get it how YOU like it!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was using Paradigm's S26 stands for my Monitor 5s, but for a little bit less, I replaced them with the high mass Partsexpress stands. These things aren't going anywhere, even without filling them! Sound will improve slighly with stands, but not a night and day kind of thing. I currently have the Titans I am using as surrounds on S30 stands and they are not as stable as I would like. The S26s, which are now in my bedroom, are considerably more stable.

When I had these speakers, I found tilting my CC370 slightly down helped it out. It's practically impossible to get your center at ear level in typical setups. It isn't necessary to have each of the three fronts at the same level; within 1-2' is OK.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I think I'll try the chains, that idea sounded the best to me...:D

Thanks for the input. I think, for now, I'm going to buy the little pads that my Paradigm dealer sells that will isolate the speaker's from what they are sitting on so as not to change the sound. I don't mind using the larger speakers for stands for now, to be honest in a couple years I see those Titan's doing surround duty anyway... if ya know what I mean:emoji_thumbsup: :D

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Congrats Jeremy!!!
I am in a similar situation w/ my center being to high,
I just cut a couple 2 in blocks and put them under the rear corners of my cc270. ( I was also afraid of it sliding, moved it around and nudged it a few times, seems too be ok for about 2-3 mo's now)

BobP

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, I am not sure of the exact name, but do a yahoo search for the Lovan "center director". Look around the web for the best price, I was able to get it for about $45
and use it for my CC-370 that I have. It will isolate your center from the entertainment center and you can angle it downward for it has a stop in the front that holds your speaker in place. I am very happy with the purchase.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
WHat I have under my cneter is a little piece fo foam to tilt it down. Does anyone know if putting a small piece fo foam near the back of the center affect sound quality

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I have my CC 370 on top of my 51 inch RPTV.

I took a foam keyboard pad (the thing people put under their wrist to keep from getting caarpal tunnel) cut it into 3 rectangles and used it to til the center down.

the foam is rubberized so it isolates vibration, it has kind of a blue non slip covering so the center stay where I put it. i put a little blue tack uner the front just for extra security. Seems to work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks