What's new

Speaker Stands for Klipsch HD Theater 500 speakers (1 Viewer)

Dave Schwabauer

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Schwabauer
OK...so I have purchased a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver and was looking for a set of Energy Take Classic 5.1s...but the Energys were impossible to find. I was browsing in our local Best Buy when I happened upon a set of the Klipsch HD Theater 500 speakers that had been used as a display set on an end aisle...not even in the Magnolia sound center there. They have had minimal use...and they were marked down to $249 (regular price is $599). I snatched them up...and yes, I did spend an extra $30 bucks for the Best Buy 4 year warranty...just in case.

Here is my dilemma and I know it is a common one. My wife and I go round and round about what will be and what will not be "displayed" in the living room/great room. Believe me, it took a long time to convince her that it was OK to have a 40" Sony LCD in there on a low TV stand that I found. The TV stand is more like furniture with glass doors and drawers for movies and remotes. She has accepted the TV, but now the "discussion" is on how I will display my new speakers. She has already told me she would prefer not to have the speakers sitting on the TV stand (even though I will need to sneak in the center channel speaker just under the TV screen...shhhhhhhhhh).

So here is my question. You all have been great at giving good advice when I have asked before, so I need to ask a couple more questions. I am wondering whether I should take the chance and purchase some wood stands for the speakers (I have been looking at Wood Technologies and Sanus Systems speaker stands)...probably Cherry to match the TV stand or just some nice black ones that will blend better with the speakers...or if I should go with some metal ones like the Bose UFS-20 (does anyone know if the Bose UFS -20 will work with Klipsch HDT 500 sats?) or Atlantic or Sanus...

So...there is my dilemma. I know some of you guys out there have already gone through this with your "better halves" so I need you to weigh in here. I really would like to get these things set up (I am waiting for some cables, wires and connectors from Monoprice which should be here any day now) and get the wife used to the idea of quality sound reproduction.

The next challenge after that one is the "remote" controversy. Looking at Logitech Harmony One...but that is for another thread post. Looking forward to hearing from many of you...so please...start posting.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Get her involved in choosing the stands. My wife chose the colors of my theater room. I said dark walls with a gray ceiling. She chose the wall paint, carpet color, shade of gray for the ceiling and curtains in the theater. She now has a vested interest in the room. I'm building new speakers for the room and I'll run cabinet shapes by her. I don't give her options that will impact sound quality so she is just choosing things like shape and matching color.

The Harmony 880 was already in place when I set the room up. There was no way she could remember which remote did what. She doesn't even know I have a remote controlled HDMI switch or even care what it is. I chose the 880 because I could put custom activity names on each button. The others didn't have this option. Buttons called Watch TV or Watch DVD didn't really apply to us. I have to choose among 3 HD DVRs, a Blu-ray and two DVD players.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Parts Express has the HTiB stands from Sanus on sale for $40 /pr: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-814

Take a look on Amazon as well for the URC R-50 Remote. They were recently going very inexpensively. Except for going through batteries a bit, it is an excellent remote so far.

No offense, but getting a warranty on speakers is pretty pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks