Speaker stands for floorstanders?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chrisden, Dec 22, 2002.

1. chrisden

chrisden Agent

I have read two recent reviews of floorstanding speakers (most notably, the recent review of the Paradigm Studio 100's in Perfect Vision) in which the reviewer states that placing the 100's on 6 inch high stands will increase bass output and definition.

Does anyone using floorstanding speakers use stands? If so, where are such stands available?

I have Studio 60's which are a little on the short side (the tweeter is a little bit below ear level) and I want to investigate the speaker stand option. Thanks.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I don't see how raising them would increase bass output, as there would be less reinforcement from the floor.

3. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I have some Energy C-4s. The height on these things always bothered me (speaker height like 33 inches I think). I loked around but there were slim pickins for stands near 8 inches. Then I saw that a fellow HTF member was selling some 7 inch stands and I grabbed them quick.

Now the tweeter is just about at ear level, and to me this has made listening much more enjoyable. The bass, can't really say if it is stronger or not. But if you can find some small stands with spikes for less than $50, I definitely recommend you give 'em a shot. A very economical upgrade.

4. Raymond D'amato

i would suggest a company named sound anchor. you can view their products on the web or call them you will find them helpfull.

5. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

You could try getting several 8x8x2" patio stones and stacking them at 6" or various heights just to see if it helps the sound. I spray painted mine black and like how it looks. I do occasionaly look for some 6" speaker stands, but I haven't really seen much out there besides some Lovan Jazz, which look really nice but cost over $200 a pair.

I have read that Rocket is coming out with some "risers" for their towers. I wonder how much they will be and how they will look with other speakers.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

7. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

chrisden,

I have my Paradigm Monitor 7's on 7" high stands. I have tried them with and without the stands. They sound better on the stands and they also bring the tweeters up to ear level.

Click on the link below to view my HT and the stands.

8. Brian Burgoyne

Gabriel, thanks for the Riser picture. They are beautiful but built specifically for the Rocket (DUH). So I guess my speakers would look kinda funny on them.

Big Al, your 7" stands look good. Where did you get them and for how much?

9. Alan Pummill

Brian, I paid about $50 for the pair about 6 years ago at Sound Waves in Middletown, Ohio. I don't know what brand they are, but they are simple wood stands. They include the base, top, and two risers. They have to be assembled. They also have spiked feet.

I bought my wife a remote control starter for her car for Christmas at Sound Waves, and when I'm there later this week or early next week to get it installed, I'll try and find out what they are for you.

10. Brian Burgoyne

Thanks Al, that's a nice gift for the wife! I wish they had them when I was growing up in Michigan. I guess I could get one installed for the summers here in Texas (5 months or more) so I could have the AC cooling the car off before I get in.[​IMG]

11. Donald_Spry

Donald_Spry Stunt Coordinator

Al,
    Is that a canvas painting or a tapestry behind the TV? I looking for something similar. Nice set-up- Looks great!

DJ

12. Alan Pummill

Donald, That is (2) 2' X 4' Sonex Acoustic Panels. I have the same configuration on both side walls. The wall treatments really tightened up the bass and improved the sound stage of my system. My room is large, 20' X 24', and I was having problems with the high end sounding somewhat harsh. The wall treatments really damped the room nicely.
    Thanks for the compliments on my system. I have been into Stereo and later Home Theater systems for over 25 years. This is where I'm at now. I am going to upgrade to a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi receiver next year. (BTW, my wife has worked for Pioneer for nearly 15 years, so I get a huge break on the price)[​IMG]
    Here is a link for the Sonex Acoustic Panels...
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...tic%20Pane ls