Speaker Stands: Almost a reality

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffTodd, Jun 24, 2002.

1. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

***Added more pics to the site. 2 complete stands with a brand new pair of JBL S26's to grace them.***
    Ok, after much work I am just about finished with these speaker stands. I have one that is constructed, but not finished yet. I had to bring it inside because I was so excited about finishing it. Now I have to finish glueing the second one and then stain them both. I figure by Thursday I will be done.
    www.toddbros.com/cudanet/diy.htm
    This is what I have done so far. For a first time project I am pretty pleased.
    And whoever said that you do DIY because its cheaper is wrong. With all the time that I have spent on these getting them just right I could have just bought a pair of cheapo stands. But the experience is what makes it addictive. I am already asking myself what is next.

2. Dan Steffen

Dan Steffen Stunt Coordinator

Looks very nice. Have you noticed any instability with those or is the base large enough to prevent easy tipping?

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Todd - a very good job! They look nice and elegant. You're now an official D-I-Y-er. The affliction is life-long.

4. JeffTodd

Dan,

I have not noticed any instability. The 12" base does the job well. I plan on installing spikes as well which should do away with any possibility of instability.

Hank,

Thanks for the good words!!! I have the second stand glueing up and when I get home from work I will begin process to stain them. I picked up Minwax's Natural stain along with the wood conditioner and some satin fast drying polurethane to finish it up with. This is what the guys at Home Depot recommended. I have tested on some scrap maple and found that 2 coats of the natural stain look better without the conditioner. Any thoughts here before I go crazy with the brush?

Also, lifelong affliction? Definitely. I will have to make something for the woman so that I can continue to justify my tool purchases.

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Personally, I don't like stain. I like a wood's natural color. You shouldn't have any trouble with a light stain, which is what "natural" sounds like. Pre-stain conditioner is good for open-pored woods like oak, and for other woods if you're using a dark stain. If your sample looked good without using the conditioner, it's probably because your stain is very light, so that's fine - go for it.
    You've got the strategy for ongoing tool acquisition: build her something first, then buy the tool, then build her something else, then buy the next tool...[​IMG]

6. JeffTodd

The natural stain is a very light one indeed. I didn't want something to mess up the nice maple that I have. I will be sure to post more pics as they become available.

-And when she let me buy a random orbit sander she thought that would mean that I would spend less time in the garage. A nice power sander only means that I can sand longer because my arms aren't tired as quickly.

7. JeffTodd

Some updated pics with new speakers!