Speaker stand recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianKM, Sep 14, 2001.

1. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

My mains (Norh 4.0 ceramics with a 6"x6" footprint) are begging for a decent pair of stands. Looking for something 18-24" tall (to roughly match height of center channel) with a light wood finish for up to $200. The ones where you pour sand in the center column for stability sure look cool. [​IMG] Any recommendations?
    Has anyone made DIY stands that would work?
    Thanks.

2. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Brian,
    Click on the link in my signature to check out my DIY stands. I bought these columns unfinished at Garden Ridge for $13 each (less 30% off) and spray-painted them with textured sandstone paint. They are very stable, look cool, and don't resonate.
    If you can't connect to the site, keep trying. It's free, so they sometimes limit bandwidth during peak hours.
    Have fun!
    John
    ------------------
    System:
    Onkyo 787
    Mains: nOrh SM 6.9 (shipping NOW)
    Center: nOrh marble 4.0
    Surrounds: nOrh wood 4.0
    Rear Center: nOrh prism 4.1
    Subwoofers: 2 x SVS 20-39 CS w/Fidek Amp
    Pics: http://www.geocities.com/givinit2him/

3. norman_maclean

[Edited last by norman_maclean on September 14, 2001 at 10:01 AM]

4. norman_maclean

So I don't have one of these garden places by me. Any one have any other ideas for speaker stands? I have jbl nsp1's, and I want high stands for the rears so they are a couple of feet above the couch, and then I also have a rear center (older jbl center) that goes right behind the couch, should this be up higher, perhaps on the wall, or just above the couch? Also what can i put this on, the stand really isn't seen, so anything would work. Also anyone have good ideas for wall mounting, keeping in mind I don't think i can make large holes in the walls (rental property).

5. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Pull up google.com and do a search on plant stands. You will see some nice stands that you can get in quite a few heights if you look around a bit. For the rear center, sounds like a job for an omni-mount.

6. norman_maclean

Omni-mount?