Speaker Stand height for rear surrounds....?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean L, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

I am going to be using KEF Q1s bookshelf speakers for my rear surrounds, and I am not sure how tall a stand I should use. The KEFs are 13.7" tall.

The rear surrounds will be placed behind my twin sofas in the corners of the room, the sofabacks are approx 32" high.

I was going to go with a 30" stand, which would place the top of the speaker at 43.7" high. But I was reading on the Dolby Website that rear surrounds (direct radiating and/or dipoles) should be a few feet higher than ear level. I don't think I can achieve that, but with a 36" stand the speaker will be a foot higher than ear level.

I am thinking that I should now go with 36" stands, something like the Studiotech SP-36s. Clean and simple.

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated!

Sean in Nor Cal

2. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

Sean:

From all the systems I've heard, I definitely prefer having the rear surrounds up fairly high. A 36" stand would be pretty good. OR, what about mounting on the rear wall up even higher?

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Sean, here's a pair of 40" stands that should be plenty sturdy for your KEFs:
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...20Stand%20Pair
    I use a pair of these Atacama Nexus for my rear speakers which are 10x13x15.5" (width/depth/height) and 27 lbs. The only downside to these stands IMO is that there is no built-in wire management.

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I've read the surrounds should be 2-3 feet above ear level but at least 6 inches from the ceiling (which, depending on the speakers, may not be far enough). I personally have one at 2 feet above ear level and one a bit lower due to my room layout and it worked out just fine after calibrating the speakers.

5. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

$175 for speaker stands... (I know, nice furniture is not cheap)

Any clever (and cheaper) alternatives?

... Altan

6. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

I went with $90 StudioTech SP-36s....36" tall, single steel column, adj floor spikes, nice clean look. This will position the bottom of my 14" tall KEF Q1s about 3" above the sofa back and about a foot above ear level.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

7. KevinST

KevinST Stunt Coordinator

Stupid Question...

Do the rear surounds in a 7.1 system go one above the other or do they go more in line with the fronts?