What's new

Speaker Stand Filling (1 Viewer)

Bejoy

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to build a set of rear speaker stands using MDF. The current plan is to make the middle column 6x6x44 and filling that with sand is going to be tough. Is there any other lighter material suitable for filling the space? Is filling this essential? If that's the case, I can look for different designs with lesser fillable area.

Bejoy

DanielGM

Stunt Coordinator
The point of filling is to make it heavy foremost, stiff secondmost (mdf is already pretty stiff) you could fill it with feathers but what would be the point? Some members have discussed beads of various origins, a search of this forum will lead you to their posts no doubt.

BTW I do consider filling essential unless you want a broken speaker.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
If you use 3/4" MDF the internal volume will be down to 4.5 x 4.5 x 44. Might not take as much sand as you think. 44" is pretty tall though. Mine are around 6x6x30. I filled them about 3/4 with sand and then stuffed the rest with polyfil. I have a fill hole on the top under the speaker. The polyfil also keeps the sand from spilling when you move then around.

Ronnie

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I don't think filling an MDF speaker stand with sand provides any acoustic benefits. Metal stand often require something to damp out the ring many of them get, but MDF doesn't ring. A stand that tall, you might still want to fill the bottom to make them more stable. Make sure you use plastic bags to prevent the sand from leaking, and make the base bigger than you think you need to.

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
if you made the post from solid (layered) mdf, it would be quite a bit heavier... almost as heavy as sand I think.

David

Bejoy

Stunt Coordinator
I did some rethinking and most probably will reduce the height to around 30-32".

Thnx for all the responses.

Bejoy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks