What's new

speaker stand company recommendations (1 Viewer)

Jon Musil

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all, does anyone know of a company that makes nice stands at reasonable prices. It would help if they had a website to see the offerings but it isn't esential. Speed counts on this one! Thanks!

Regards,

Jon

David Sailor

Agent
Generally speaking, a steel stand with hollow legs works well. They are designed to be filled with a sound deadening material such as sand. I actually went to a sporting goods store and bought two bags of loose lead shot. This added 20lbs to each stand and no vibrations or resonances. I have a pair of Atlantis stands, a modest design that fits in well with the house, bought them locally for about $100.

Cagri

Second Unit
Don't know if they are reasonably priced in the US but you might check out Atacama stands.

Jon Musil

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all for the input.

I had noticed and liked the look of some atacama stands before so I appreciate the reminder. I'm off to look for some now.

BTW, has anyone bought Parts Express "own line" of metal stands? If so, what do you think of them?

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
if you have a few tools and some extra time you can make some VERY solid DIY stands at a much cheaper price. I made some based on this design

TNT Stubby

Here is a link to my stands

They are really solid and cost me about 75 bucks. The other plus with DIY is you can make them look anyway you want...

just a thought...

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! It was a fun project! it would have been a lot easier if I didn't have to sand the wood by hand... My first staining experience wasn't the greatest either...

The project could be even cheaper if you went the MDF route instead of hardwood. I'm very happy with them. I would have had to spend around $300 to get a stand as big and solid as mine. And I think they look better too! of course I'm biased because I made them! ;)

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator
These Studiotech SNB's are AWESOME! I use a pair in the bedroom. They are a very stable H design, are sand / shot fillable (stability). They also are adjustable, and have removeable carpet spikes included. Nice powdercoat finish as well. For $63 a pair, they can't be beat. The company out of Arizona shipped them the same day, with a tracking #.
http://www.hififorless.com/acatalog/...TECH_1651.html

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I agree with Troy, build your own! Check out mine(link in signature). Mine were extremely cheap, less than $10 each IIRC.

Jon Musil

Stunt Coordinator
I got some hardwood (red oak) and stain today, to go the DIY route on the sreaker stands. Got all the stock cut, sanded, drilled and ready to go! Thanks for the help all!

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks