Speaker spikes on hardwood

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake T, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I dont want to usa my speaker spikes due to the damage they would do to my wood cabinets.
    Anyone have any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Jake T

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Pennies under the spikes usually work pretty well. Or, get different feet.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jake,
    You might try some of those oversized stick-on rubber feet. They are usually good for components, but I think they would be ideal for your situation. On a hardwood floor, they would give a lot of friction and make the speaker hard to move accidentally.
    Radio Shack sells them for only a few bucks.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Jake

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

The only problem with rubber feet is that they wouldn't allow the speaker to couple to the floor, which is the point of having spikes in the first place. With the right kind of equipment, this may make a noticable difference to the sound. Of course, in the right kind of room, the speakers might sound better when de-coupled from the floor, so it's a toss-up.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I wish I had known about the penny trick before I bought my Paradigm Monitor 7's. The dealer sold me some brass "things" that the spikes rest on. They work very well but cost $15-$20 per set of 4.

7. SimonT

SimonT Extra

I left the spikes on my towers because they shook all over the place! (and the towers weigh over 70 lbs. each!) The manufacturer (Phase Technology) highly recommended using the spikes ...they said "they (the spikes)also contribute to deeper, tighter bass." So I left them on...the damage is minimal to my hardwood floors.
    ------------------
    MY HOME THEATER

8. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

Pennies can potentially leave indentations on the wood. I use some old tiles which I place on the hardwood with the speaker stands and spikes on top of it.

9. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

"Deeper, tighter bass"? hmmm.... Is there any way that you can remove them? My speakers came with little screw holes so that you can switch between the spikes and the plastic pads that come with them. If not, try buying some small rubber feet with a peel off adhesive on the back of them, then stick them on the floor, and put the spikes in them. They are usually a pretty good hardness rubber, so as to damp any movement but yet remain firm with a lot of weight. You can get them at radio shack for a couple bucks, like Wayne said. Good lucks

10. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

11. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

12. SimonT

SimonT Extra

Suarav,

13. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I just got a pair of the Revel F-30s this week and their spikes are blunt on one end and pointed on the other. For the use on hardwood and carpeted floors. You may be able to reverse the spikes on yours as well or contact a HIFI store which may have some that can be used. I would think most speakers use the same threaded holes. And the spikes from one company to the other can be interchanged.
    Just a thought?!
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Darrel McBane on July 14, 2001 at 03:59 PM]

14. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

...... try Vibrapods. Select the appropriate model # based upon the weight of your speaker (mine happen to be Paradigm Monitor 7's). I used 6 pods (Model #2, if I recall ) -- 4 on each corner, with 2 centered on middle edge, and ......voila. Bass punch returned. A very noticable improvement.
    Beats the spikes and pennies I had used for over a year on my hardwoods. Granted, my hardwood floor was not "springy", but it sure improved the bass response I was getting from the spikes.
    At $5.99 ea., worth a listen.
    Good Luck,
    BOK

15. SimonT

SimonT Extra

Where do I find those Vibrapods Brian? Thanks.
    ------------------
    MY HOME THEATER

16. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

This seems like the right thread to ask...
    What is the benifit of using spikes and then adding a penny or something underneath them?
    Wouldn't it be just as easy to just use any old foot that is just as thick its whole length as using one that starts out wide at the speakers, narrows to a point near the floor and then widens right back out due to the penny sitting between it and the floor?
    I mean, the penny still has a very wide area pressing against the floor, so the speaker should be able to move just as well as it did before you used spikes, surely.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

17. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I think the penny behaves like it's part of the floor, not part of the spike.

18. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The constant vibration of the speaker cabinet will always cause spikes to dig into the wood floor unless some protection is put in between.
    Rubber padding is not suitable because the spike will puncture it and continue down into the floor.
    A penny is really too small to prevent imprinting, a quarter or larger coin would be needed.
    Whatever protection you use, it should be inspected often to be sure (1) the spikes have not slipped off, (2) they hasn't deformed causing a dimple or sharp edges to hit the floor underneath, or (3) they haven't cracked or broken.
    Other video hints:http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on July 16, 2001 at 07:24 AM]

19. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    I've used spikes on my DefTech towers for three years now. My floor is wood (red oak) and you'd be hard pressed find any marks left by the spikes. Yes they are there, but the are so small that you have to bend down and look for them.
    The improvement in bass was not insignificant when I replaced the original feet with the spikes that came supplied with the speakers.
    I can see where there could be concern if someone moves the speakers, or on light wood, however.

20. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    Maybe if you placed a buffer piece of wood between the cabinet surface and the spikes? You could clamp the buffer down from behind so the speakers would hide the clamps. Depending on how heavy they are, you may only need a very thin piece of wood. just make sure that the buffer is somehow tightly connected to the cabinet.
    Good luck!