Speaker spikes on hardwood floors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stephens, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased my father in law some Paradigm Monitor 9's, and he is unwilling to use speaker spikes on his new hardwood floor.
    Is this going to significantly affect the sound of the speakers, and if so, what are his options?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

this is a viable option:
    [​IMG]
    kevin t

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

If I can't hear a difference, then your father in law probably won't either. [​IMG]
    The spikes are mostly used for carpet to poke through and touch the wood underneath.

4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Most speakers come with rubber feet also, or at least a way to attach rubber feet to the spikes. I firmly believe that spiked feet are essential for anything more than casual listening. They really clean up and tighten the bass and sounstaging. Honestly, very audible stuff!

If rubber feet are not available try putting some cork on the bottom of the spikes.

Don't go without

-rob

5. Chuck Paskovics

Chuck Paskovics Stunt Coordinator

I have just built a subwoofer endtable and the legs are 3x3 oak. Should I add something to the bottom of those legs such as cork? Or is it ok for them to rest directly on the hardwood floor?

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Subwoofer endtable????

7. Chuck Paskovics

Here's my subwoofer endtable...i'm getting ready to put the final coat finish on...
    [​IMG]

8. Rob Rodier

Your sub is very unique. I would not even want to venture a guess as to what will yield the best sonic results. Play with it a little and see.

-rob

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Nah, I saw a stack of those sub tables at Ikea for $50ea the other day. (jk)

When you put hardwood on hardwood, the vibrations could cause the sub to move around and it could also affect sound. Rubber or cork could be helpful in planting the sub. Also it has 4 legs so all legs might not be even. The goal is to firmly connect the speaker to the ground so all the vibrations from the speaker get transfered to the ground. On carpet use spikes, on hardwood I'd use maybe a soft plastic or nylon. If you use something too soft you'll be suspending the sub off the hardwood like a piece of carpet would.

I like the canned food feet btw, it really compliments the Oak. (hehe sorry)

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I never knew it was important to use spikes...right now I'm using nothing, because my carpet is extremely thin. Should I use spikes?

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

12. Chuck Paskovics

I've actually had this made for about 2 years now. I've just now refinished it to match the rest of the home theater furniture i've built for my living room (component cabinet, cd rack). I've got it sitting next to my couch. It does a heck of a job. You can not tell where the base is coming from and it provides plenty of rumble.

It has 2 15" subs, installed facing each other but in phase with one another. One of them hangs out of the bottom.

I've got them hooked to 2 marantx THX MA500 mono amplifiers linked together. Together they provide about 450 watts (8oms). They most definately let you feel the movie!

A good friend of mine (who majored in physics) helped me design it so that all parts were measured accurately. I'm hoping to put it all up online soon as a template or something.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

14. Chuck Paskovics

So, would it be benificial to mount my table to the floor with small brackets? The table is quite heavy, but if the base is hard enough it could possibly move the table, resulting in the wasted energy you were refering to. I could mount a small bracket on opposite corners of the inside legs directly to the hardwood floor to help make the table "one" with the floor.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

chuck, if my theory is correct (which i think it is) then i suppose that would be a pretty good idea.
    before doing that though, see if you can independently verify my theory. [​IMG] again, i'm pretty sure, but not sure enough that i could whole-heartedly recommend you drill into your floor! [​IMG]

16. Rob Rodier

sounds good to me too

-rob

17. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have Paradigm Monitor 7s on hardwood floors and I am using the things Kevin has shown a picture of. Theses are available at Paradigm dealers. They aren't cheap, though. They run about $20 for a set of four. Another option is to set coins under the spikes.

It is probably better to leave the spikes on and find something to put under them, rather than removing the spikes and having the speaker right on the floor.

18. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If the Paradigm's don't come with some kind of feet to prevent intimate contact to the hardwood floor then I think it's a good idea to protect both with something like a soft rubber or cork. While I understand where Ted is coming from, the potential for movement of the speaker as a result of driver movement when playing music is vastly overstated in terms of its magnitude. That speaker just isn't going anywhere once you put it down.