What's new

Speaker spikes on concrete? (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Is it a good idea to use speaker spikes on a carpet with concrete flooring underneath? For some reason, I remember hearing that spikes on a concrete floor was a bad idea, but I can't remember why!

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I can't see why it would be bad. Spikes are meant to physically couple the speaker box to the floor, thus increasing the effective mass of the speaker box.

Concrete flooring would be the ultimate in this regard.

Generally speaking, though, some don't like the sound in a room with lots of concrete as reflective surfaces. Concrete doesn't resonate like wood does- as such, it imparts no sonic "character" to the room. Some find this sound to be a bit "hollow."

Todd

Brett_V

Grip
If I'm not mistaken, my SVS owners manual suggested not using the spikes that shipped with the sub if it will be sitting on carpet covered concrete. If I had to guess, I would think that there is some probability of the sub vibrating or chattering on the concrete. If it were on a wood subfloor, I think the spikes would dig in and hold, so to speak.

Just my thoughts.

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
I used spikes on my powered towers until I started hearing a horrible vibration. I thought that my speakers were coming apart until I realized it was the spikes chattering on the concrete. It's not a pretty sound.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've always thought that spikes only provided real benefit for front-firing drivers, anyway.

Wth the SVS, cone motion is up and down, so you need mass in that direction. In this case, couple the speaker tightly to the floor with good feet, and then add weight on top of the box to minimize vertical motion of the box.

My front speakers sit on ceramic floor tile, so I use high-durometer (i.e. stiff) rubber feet. Spikes can't get any bite into the ceramic tile, due to its glazing (nor do I want them to bite).Assuming the concrete floor under the carpet is standard slab stuff, the spikes should be able to bite. Again, this is for front-firing speakers. With vertical firing, I'd use spikes and weight.

The chattering of the spikes on the concrete is indicative of exactly what the whole box is doing when there are no spikes. Moving back and forth. The speaker cone should be moving, putting sound into the air- nothing else. The solution is to figure out how to stop this chattering, not suspend the speaker in free space. Remember, energy put into moving the cabinet is not what you want.

Todd

Brett_V

Grip
I just use the rubber feet on my SVS. The setup is in my renovated basement (i.e. carpet over concrete). I havent noticed any problems, and I can assure you the sub kicks holy ass. I certainly wouldn't reccomend putting weights on my or anyone elses SVS subwoofer! I also doubt the good men from SVS would advise that either.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
My mains sit on stands with spikes and I have carpeting over concrete and I think they work find. The problem is that the concrete is not completely flat and uniform so if I move the stands, then I have to re-adjust the spikes on the bottom. Other than that, I think it is ok. I'm not sure about subs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks