Speaker sizing for a small small room

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ZachH, Jan 18, 2005.

1. ZachH

ZachH Auditioning

Think about 9x11. That's going to be my theater room. 8' ceilings and hardwood floors. (I'll attach a picture of the layout at the bottom of the message.)

I haven't decided on the display yet. I like the Samsung DLPs, but have been looking at plasma for the hang-on-the-wall space savings. Currentl audio gear consists of a 5 year old Sony ES 5.1 receiver.

I'm looking for some speaker recommendations. I scoured the site for suggestions and have a list of about 30 that look interesting. The trouble is, I'm not sure what would be good for my room size. It's quite small.

I don't want large speakers taking up too much space. I don't want speakers that are more than I need for the amount of space I have.

I haven't set a budget for the purchase. While I would prefer to not spend $4,000 on speakers, I'm more interested in getting appropriate speakers for the area than cost savings. That said, I don't want something expensive just because it's expensive.

I currently listen to music most of the time, but after I get the new display, I hope to be able to enjoy more movies. I plan on adding speakers to the other rooms of my house for audio distribution -- but that's later on.

Any suggestions on either brand/models, or maybe better yet, some general guidelines of what I should be looking for? Any specs that would be important to the purchase?

In dealing with smaller speakers, I know it's important to look at the frequency range. Down to 80hz is a must, after which the sub should take over. That much, I've gethered. But what else should be important? Power? How much do I really need for this area?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. I appreciate it.

Zach

(I'm not allowed to post url's. Below is the link to the picture)

www (dot) 0x7A69 (dot) org/temp/lounge-sm.jpg

2. ZachH

ZachH Auditioning

Anyone have suggestions?

3. johnBee

johnBee Auditioning

My .02,
    Check out ascendacoustics.com in particular the CBM-170's.
    Good luck

4. StephenWE

StephenWE Agent

You didn't mention if this was an apartment or a house. If this is your house, and you can do some modification, why not get some in-wall speakers?

5. ZachH

ZachH Auditioning

It is a house, but in-wall speakers are not really an option. It's a 1929 house with all original plaster walls and ceilings.

I guess I'll check out the Ascend and some of the other speakers frequently recommended here. I suppose if I get something that will physically fit into my space, I shouldn't have a problem with them being "too big" (output-wise) for the room..