What's new

Speaker size settings (1 Viewer)

Ray Kammer

Agent
In setting up my speakers on my new Onkyo 595 I'd like some recommendations on whether to use the "small" or "large" settings with my particular setup. Here's my setup:

Onkyo TX-DS595

Front speakers - Vintage Wharfedales 8" Woof, 4" Mid, 2"Tw

Center - Infinity - Dual 5" plus tweeter

Rear speakers - Vintage Pioneer CS66e 8" 3 way

Sub Woofer - Sony SA-WM40

I currently have the fronts set to large, the center set to small and the rears set to large. I understand the concept of the receiver rerouting bass information depending on the size of the speakers but wonder just how the manufacturers make their judgements on just what is defined by "small" and "large". Thanks,

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I would defenitely set the fronts to SMALL. Unless those fronts can handle the deep down bass of todays DD 5.1, switch to SMALL.

Alfer

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
but wonder just how the manufacturers make their judgements on just what is defined by "small" and "large".
Setting them to "large" simply passes through all of the frequencies for that channel contained in the source. Setting them to "small" activates an internal crossover that filters out all frequencies below a certain level and routes them to the subwoofer.

Some receivers and pre/pros have a user-selectable crossover. If your Onkyo is one of them, the manual should say so (look for the term "bass management"). If there's a fixed crossover point, it's commonly 80Hz, which is what THX recommends.

M.

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
Ray,

Set everything to small. That is recomended by just about everyone and every mfg. Even Richard Vandersteen, designer of my Vandersteen 3A's (large, high-end towers that extend quite low), recommend setting them to small.

It is better to let the powered sub, designed to handle low freq info, handle it. Doing so when improve the sound of your midrange, and take the strain off of your reciever and speakers.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
Even Richard Vandersteen, designer of my Vandersteen 3A's (large, high-end towers that extend quite low), recommend setting them to large.
I am assuming this is a typo?

As for the main question, I have my reference series set to small. I went back and forth and found small sounded better.

Mike

DanaA

Screenwriter
Everybody already said it: With your speakers, you need to set everything to small. Your receiver is nice, but not overly powerful. Let the sub and it's built in amp take some of the load away.

Tony Granatelli

Stunt Coordinator
Look, I'm new to this... but I read almost every home theater magazine that comes out...
I'd sell the front speakers and the center channel on e-bay and buy three matching speakers for my front sound stage.
Tony Granatelli

Ray Kammer

Agent
I appreciate all the feedback, guys. I've experimented a bit and agree that the fronts don't provide the bass punch so why not let the Sub handle the chore. By the way, Tony, Not only have I had the Wharfedales for about 25 years, but they are extremely accurate speakers and in perfect condition. They match well with the Infinity center channel and also have a similar sound to the Pioneers in the rear. A friend bought his Boston Acoustics over last week and we tried them in place of my vintage speakers. Neither sounded better than the other. I think I'll stay with my old beauties for now. Thanks again for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks