Speaker size settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray Kammer, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer Agent

In setting up my speakers on my new Onkyo 595 I'd like some recommendations on whether to use the "small" or "large" settings with my particular setup. Here's my setup:

Onkyo TX-DS595

Front speakers - Vintage Wharfedales 8" Woof, 4" Mid, 2"Tw

Center - Infinity - Dual 5" plus tweeter

Rear speakers - Vintage Pioneer CS66e 8" 3 way

Sub Woofer - Sony SA-WM40

I currently have the fronts set to large, the center set to small and the rears set to large. I understand the concept of the receiver rerouting bass information depending on the size of the speakers but wonder just how the manufacturers make their judgements on just what is defined by "small" and "large". Thanks,

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I would defenitely set the fronts to SMALL. Unless those fronts can handle the deep down bass of todays DD 5.1, switch to SMALL.

Alfer

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Ray,

Set everything to small. That is recomended by just about everyone and every mfg. Even Richard Vandersteen, designer of my Vandersteen 3A's (large, high-end towers that extend quite low), recommend setting them to small.

It is better to let the powered sub, designed to handle low freq info, handle it. Doing so when improve the sound of your midrange, and take the strain off of your reciever and speakers.

5. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

6. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Stupid typo, yes, I meant set all to small, and I have edited my first post.

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Everybody already said it: With your speakers, you need to set everything to small. Your receiver is nice, but not overly powerful. Let the sub and it's built in amp take some of the load away.

8. Tony Granatelli

Tony Granatelli Stunt Coordinator

Look, I'm new to this... but I read almost every home theater magazine that comes out...
    I'd sell the front speakers and the center channel on e-bay and buy three matching speakers for my front sound stage.
    Tony Granatelli

9. Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer Agent

I appreciate all the feedback, guys. I've experimented a bit and agree that the fronts don't provide the bass punch so why not let the Sub handle the chore. By the way, Tony, Not only have I had the Wharfedales for about 25 years, but they are extremely accurate speakers and in perfect condition. They match well with the Infinity center channel and also have a similar sound to the Pioneers in the rear. A friend bought his Boston Acoustics over last week and we tried them in place of my vintage speakers. Neither sounded better than the other. I think I'll stay with my old beauties for now. Thanks again for the help.