Speaker size settings question.....?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Vader, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    I just upgraded to a Denon AVR-2105, and need some opinions on speaker size settings. It know that when using a subwoofer all speakers should be set to “small”, and to let the sub do all the work below the crossover frequency. In my case, I am running a Boston Acoustics PV-400 (I bought it in my previous house – much smaller HT room – and it was driven by a Marantz SR580). I intend to get a larger sub eventually (an SVS), but in the meantime the BA is a nice little sub (7 ½”). I am thinking about the following speaker configuration:

1)All speakers (Infinity Alphas, Primus) set to “Large”. Each speaker would then handle its own bass, helping out the sub.
    2)The crossover set at 80hz
    3)The Denon set to “LE + Front” so that the sub is again helped by the 10” woofers in the Alpha 50’s

Am I on the wrong track here? Besides getting a bigger sub (I am working on that one), does anyone have any suggestions? Thanx in advance!

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I think the problem that you will have there is that the bass from your towers and the bass from your sub won't match or blend correctly. I am not an expert on this, but I think it might be best to go one way or the other, rather than try mixing both.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you set your speakers all to large, you will have no x-over; it will not be used and your sub will get LFE only, which is most likely what you are getting with LFE+main - bass from any speakers set small (which you say you don't have configured) is redirected to the mains, and LFE to the sub. That sub probably doesn't go much lower than your mains with a 7 1/2" driver, but if it has it's own amp, it should at least provide some support on the lower end and take some load off the receiver with some of the speakers set to small. I would set them all to small except the 50s.

Your mains and your sub should not be reproducing the same sounds together, as this would be more likely to cause cancellation rather than additional output.

There are no 10" drivers in the Alpha 50, BTW.

4. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanks Charlie,

Good point. That might put the kabosh on anything BUT setting all speakers to "Small" and letting the sub handle everything below 80hz. The BA might suprise me with the Denon (I came from a Marantz SR580, which is "lacking" in the bass department to begin with)...

5. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek

John,

By bad. I was thinking of the SVS I WANT TO get. The drivers in the 50s are 8"

6. Max F

Max F Second Unit

I wouldn't bother using that sub on music at all. Just keep yours front speakers to large until you get the SVS.

You can still use the sub with LFE on movies.