Speaker Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryO, Feb 23, 2002.

1. GaryO

GaryO Auditioning

Jan 28, 2002
    I have a Technics Receiver. I can do a test for all my speakers. Not sure where I should bottom the volume. 1/4 way up, 1/2 up etc. Should all the speakers be set the same or should surrounds be different? There are no markings on the side of knob. Also not sure which is best position (+12 to -12) after the test is done. Should all speakers be at maybe +6? When using Home Theater do you usually turn volume on TV down or mute it etc.
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    First thing, the numbers on your display are an APROXIMATION only. You have different speakers than I do, and you sit a different distance from them, and they are at a different angle than mine. This is why your numbers and mine will NEVER match. So dont ask people what their numbers are - it only applies to them.
    There IS some adjustment you can make.
    An "ideal" system would put your chair in the exact center of a circle. All speakers would be on the edge, they would all be identical, and all point exactly at you.
    When a sound moves from speaker to speaker in this "ideal" system, it would not change volume.
    Now we get to the real world.
    In your system, you have a mix of different speakers, at a different distance, pointed in somewhat different directions. To compensate for this, your receiver allow you to:
    - Add/subtract some volume from the center speaker
    - Add/subtract some volume from the right-rear
    - Add/subtract some voluem from the left-rear
    The test-tones are there to help you.
    People often buy a Radio Shack SPL meter, put it in their listening position and let the test-tones swirl around and show them where they are off. Then they use the receiver setup menu to add/subtract volume until all speakers have the same rough volume.
    Search for "calibration" and you will find posts/links with details.
    Hope this helps.