1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker setup

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jeremy McElwain, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Jeremy McElwain

Jeremy McElwain Auditioning

Well, Im building a new house and the floor standing Klipsch have to go. They dont work into the plan of the Great room and the 15 sub is WAAY to big to go anywhere. What Im looking for is a small setup...with of course big sound. Obviously the Bose is attractive due to size but Ive read enough here to know better. I would think buget would be between 1-2K? There are so many choices out there its boggling my mind. And with the house being built and the decisions there Im spent!

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

I forgot to mention room size. I cant remember exactly but its a great room concept, kitchen and living rolled into one with vaulted celings.

Mostly movies. But I do like music as well!

2. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Definitive Technologies ProCinema 80 would be a good choice -- they're small, available in white and are FAR better than the Bloze. Look at spending about $1500 US for an entire setup including 10" sub.

3. Jeremy McElwain

Hmmm. Thats one I hadnt heard of, thanks! Ill check into them. Is this what you are running or??

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

RAD Micros from Brian Rutledge or a Rocket ELT setup would be my choice in the micro-speaker category. The new Klipsch Reference Micros may be a good choice for you if you like the sound of your current Klipsch speakers.

If you can step up to atleast a bookshelf size speaker your options really open up. Swan's Diva 2.1's all around w/ a C3 center and a Rava sub would be my personal choice, and they're available in either a Rosewood or Black Cherry finish. There are tons of other great choices people will reccomend, so try to listen to as many different speakers as you can and find the ones you like. Then tell us what you've found that you like and we can probably reccomend a ton of others you haven't heard yet that sound similar.

Good luck [​IMG]

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Have you considered any of the Internet products? Ascend, Axiom and Rocket all make products that are very good, some of which are in your price range.

For example for $900 you could get the
    Rocket ELT package. For $1,250 they will package this with a Denon 1804—a very attractive deal. I’m not quite so sure on the price range of the Ascends, but I think that for a few hundred more than the ELTs you can get five of their speakers plus a VTF-2—which would also be a very good deal.

Stepping up closer to the top of your budget, you could get some very fine Rocket bookshelves like
    this. This combination with the RS200s in front, a 100 center and 150s in the rear comes in at $1,300, leaving money for a pretty good sub, such as the UFW-10, which lists for $600, but I think that you can get a discount when buying as a part of a package.

The guys at AV123 will put together a lot of different packages, so you might want to see what they will do for you.

You can check audioenvy.com and see if anybody close to you will demonstrate these speakers (or post on AV123’s website and see if someone there will demonstrate.

Check out the Ascends as well. They have a different sound than the Rockets and it may be one that you prefer. I have not heard the Axioms, so I can’t personally recommend the products, but I have read from a lot of knowledgeable people that they are also very good value for the money.

I own some Rockets and have heard most of their line and think that they provide very good value for the money. But of course you need to listen for yourself.

With your budget you can do much better than Bose and you should be able to find some that are pleasing in appearance as well.

Good luck and have fun.

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I'll second the RAD Micros from Brian Bunge (not Rutledge, which is, I believe, the town where he lives) at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com

Great guy, great craftsman. Give him a call, and see what he can do, I know he is also working on some new designs, and they may also be of interest.

7. Jeremy McElwain

Great, this gets me started. Its nice to get it a little narrowed before diving in. Thanks a ton!

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Like Stephen said, if you like the sound of your current Klipsch check out the newly released Reference satellites. If you check there website, they're offering a mail in dealie where if you buy one of the 5.1 HT packages they'll give you a 6th speaker free.

9. Jeremy McElwain

I do like the sound of my current Klipsch....Ill check those as well.

10. Jeremy McElwain

I could go with a bookshelf. Thats probably unobtrusive enough....and I will get a much fuller sound I would hope?

And lets just throw this out to monkey it up....I love listening to music as well as watching my DVD's!

Im checking all the sites mentioned above as well as Axiom audio and Aperion? Thanks again for the help!