What's new

speaker setup (1 Viewer)

Jason*H

Agent
Ok my speaker setup is pretty basic my fronts are in the the front my center is in the senter but my rears are right next to my couch because it is on the back wall what can i do about this.. will anything make them sound better. What if they were attached to the ceiling 8ft above me pointing down. Or would it help if the were farther away one the sides of the couch or in the corners.. any ideas would help
:frowning:

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Experiment as much as you can, people and rooms are different.

Maybe on stands firing diagonally into the room from the corners, or on high shelves / mounts crossfiring over your head.

With your back to the wall you have to deal with less than ideal placement. I had it like that and it was OK, no biggie. When I changed the room around and got it going the long way, with the seat in the middle of the long room, it got much better.

Good luck -

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I've seen people put them beside the couch facing up.

I've seen people put them on the back and side wall.

It's hard to say, but I'd put them on the side walls CLOSE to the back wall so some of the sound will bounce off of the rear wall.

Brent

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
This weekend I mounted my surround speakers on brackets to the side walls of my TV room about a foot higher than my head while sitting down on my couch. I thought that would be ok since in the theater you sit way below the speakers while watching a movie. I used to have them on stands on either side of my couch about a foot below ear level. To my surprise, the difference was pretty dramatic. I was actually able to get a better sense of "surround" sound like this. Bullets flying and aircraft became more pronounced with this setup. Definately worth a try. BTW, my TV room is about 12' long, 10' deep and 8.5' high. I sit about 7' away from my 36' Panasonic direct view TV. The speakers are actually behind my head since my couch is pulled out about 8 inches from the rear wall for cleaning purposes.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I just did what ChuckSolo did about 2 weeks ago. It did make the surround more effective. I mounted mine to the side and about a foot from the ceiling. MIne were behind the couch before on stands. Have you considered in wall rears?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post was that my surround speakers are facing each other from across the room so they are essentially firing in the direction of my ears. I had them pointing toward the TV when they were on the floor stands.

Chris Reitano

Auditioning
My friend had your same dilemma, we experimented for eight hours on rear speaker placement. His listening position(LP) was on his couch against the rear wall of the theater room. The results of our day long experimenting was this. We found what sounded the best was for the speakers to be placed on the floor two feet out from both walls, angled up at about the three foot point. However this position was not room functional. So we used the second best location, mounted on the rear wall seven feet high, out about six and half feet from the LP (the front speakers are at about eight feet). The speakers are faced directly at the LP. One set-up that did not work very well was to place the speakers on the floor directly behind the rear corners of the couch. The speakers were aimed straight up at the ceiling.
Have Fun, Chris

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I'm in the same boat, my listening postion is right up against the back wall, but the right of the room opens into a dinning room. I've tried many different placements until I finally mounted them on brackets about 4-5ft above the listening postion. They are at a 45 degree angle pointing down toward the listening postion. I find this to work best for the time being until I upgrade my surrounds.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
People complain about not being able to put their surrounds behind them....

The proper position for the surround speakers is to the SIDE of the listening position, a couple feet above ear level, directly to the side, or a couple feet back, firing across and above the listening area at each other. Thus, if you have a couch flush against the back wall, mounting them ON the back wall firing across each other might be a perfect solution, or on the side wall firing across. Only the rears in a 6.1/7.1 system are to be well behind the listening position.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Chris, you just described the exact way I have mine positioned now. I cannot begin to describe the difference this positioning of the surround speakers has made. I actually got the idea when I was watching "Cabin Fever" at the movie theater last weekend. I'm glad I did. Even my wife commented on how our HT sounds "just like in we're the movie theater.";)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks