Speaker Setup with Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Lovely, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Jason Lovely

Jason Lovely Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering purchasing the Denon AVR-3802 receiver, and I want a speaker setup that takes advantage of the DTS ES Discrete 6.1. If I understand correctly, I will need two front main speakers (L/R), a center channel speaker, two rear surround speakers (L/R), a rear center speaker, and a sub. I am confused as to whether or not the rear center channel is also supposed to have a L/R combination. Originally, I was thinking of purchasing Cerwin-Vega speakers from Best Buy, but in my previous post a couple of readers steered me away from them. I'm a newbie, so I would really appreciate suggestions for a good speaker setup. I will use the setup mainly for movies, but I will also play tunes on it from time to time. Right now I have a Toshiba 32" TV and I'm using my XBOX to watch movies, but I will probably upgrade the DVD player so I can get a DTS signal out of it. I already have a Sony player that I believe supports DTS, but for some reason it is not compatible with the Toshiba TV (puts a green spot on the screen every now and then). Thanks in advance.

2. greg jones

greg jones Stunt Coordinator

Unless you want to have the extra channel for future needs or need the power of the 3802, I'd suggest you look into the 2802 instead. It's the same receiver except for a couple of things. The 2802 is a 6.1 receiver with 90Wx6. The 3802 is a true 7.1 with 110(?)Wx7. The 2802 DOES have preamp outs for 7.1 if you decide to upgrade (you will need an external 2-channel amp to run the rear 2 speakers). Otherwise, the specs are the exact same for the two receivers. If you go with the 2802, you'll save yourself enough money to help with getting better speakers.

As far as your question, yes you need six speakers plus a subwoofer (Left Front, Center Front, Right Front, Right Surround, Left Surround, Center Rear). If you went with the 3802, you could run seven speakers plus a subwoofer (adds Left Rear and Right Rear instead of the Center Rear). I know of no movies on DVD right now that are encoded in 7.1. Of course this will all change by the end of the year.

In regards to speakers, I'd listen to the advice given on this and other forums on what to LOOK into getting, but let YOUR ear be final decision maker. Plus, try to find a dealer that will let you take the speakers home for an in-home trial with your receiver and room. Just because you listen to a set of speakers on a showroom floor with your receiver of choice, that doesn't mean that they will sound the same once they are placed in your room.

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Jason,

You are correct in the speakers you need. You don't need a L/R combination for the surround back. Two speakers would provide a larger soundfield but the back channel is mono so both speakers would be providing the same information. A single rear center will work just fine.

The 3802 would be a great receiver to go with and you could just use one of the surround back channels. A lot of people get a bit confused with all the 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 designations that get thrown about. There actually is no 7.1, what is typically meant by that is that the receiver is capable of powering 7 speakers. As far as I know, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the only true 6.1 is the DTS ES Discrete that you mentioned.

The 2802 that Greg mentioned is a good receiver as well but it doesn't have the SHARC processor that the 3802 does.

There are all sorts of great speakers out there. Ultimately, you'll have to listen to them to pick what's best for you. Some good possibilities are B&W, Paradigm, PSB, Diva, and Axiom but there are many more as well. My only advice on speakers is to keep the same drivers throughout the system. If you want a bigger soundfield for the back channel consider a manufacturer that makes bipolar speakers such as the latter 3 that I noted above. I really like the PSB Image line. The Axiom's seem tempting and are reasonably priced but I haven't heard them... Like Greg said, you'll have to make the final decision on what sounds best to you. Good luck.