Speaker Setup Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffWilson, Dec 28, 2001.

1. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

OK, this may be a dumb question, but......

In ym Onkyo 575x Manual, in the Speaker Setup section, it tells you that a tone will be produced and that you can adjust the sound level of the test tone "to an appropriate level". What does that mean? Should I just be able to hear it? Should be be a comfortable listening level? Or should it be a bit loud? I have noticed that when using the 575x on movies that I often need to go up to about 80% for a good listening level. Thanks for any advice.

Jeff Wilson

P.S. I have a hearing problem and need the center channel as loud as possible...should I adjust the distance setting to make it further away?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jeff: This is the "Level Adjustment" or "Calibration" test-tones.

Here is the problem: If you had 5 identical speakers arranged around a perfect circle, and all the speakers focused directly on the center with the exact same angle, then as a sound moves from speaker to speaker, it will not change volume.

But your living room is very different. You sit closer to the center speaker than the L/R. And likely you sit closer to the rears than the center. And I will guess that not all the speakers point directly at the central listening position.

When a sound moves around your speakers, it will change volume.

You receiver allows you to fix this. You use the main volume control to set the L/R volume with the test-tone, then you can bump the center volume up/down until it matches one of the L/R speakers. Then you adjust each rear the same way.

Now, as you adjust the main volume control, all the speakers will go up/down in step, but maintain the same volume with respect to each other.

Search this fourm for the word "Calibration" and you will find lots of posts on how to do this.

Good Luck.

3. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

Bob

Thanks...this makes it very clear. It is more a calibration in relation to the other speakers than in and of itself. Makes a lot of sense now! Thanks!

Jeff